Saturday, September 28, 2013

So You Think You Can Dance

I know I'm weeks late in posting this, but better late than never, right?

My picks for top 4 all made it! Hooray for Aaron, Amy, Fik-shun, and Jasmine!

Of course I'm glad that Fik-shun won. He's been my favorite guy the entire season. But I have to admit that I do feel a bit unsettled that he won. Other non-trained male dancers have won, of course. I'm talking about Joshua and Russell. But I do think they were stronger overall dancers. Especially Joshua. But we have to keep in mind what the judges and Cat tell us all the time: SYTYCD is about finding America's FAVORITE dancer, not America's BEST dancer. So if you remember that, then I definitely think that Fik-shun was the right choice.

For sure this season no one was criticized more than Fik-shun. Blu-Print and Curtis were also criticized a lot, but they were eliminated earlier in the competition. The girls were rarely found fault with this season. I felt bad for Fik-shun. Several times during the critiques for his performances with Amy or an all star, Nigel in particular would go back to the group number to pick him apart. "You were the only one who wasn't..." he would needle. I didn't think that was fair. But I do understand that criticism can make you better at your craft, and definitely Fik-shun did grow during his time on the show. He took in all the negativity with that mega-watt smile on his face, and those eyes full of joy, and he just kept dancing. I am thrilled for him. He without a doubt made the season for me.

Aaron should feel SO proud of himself. He went from not even on the show to top 4! And the first tapper to do so! He also has a great personality; I loved his and Fik-shun's routine. Paul is a great dancer, and I was shocked that he didn't make top 4. He was very popular. I just didn't connect with him on a personality level.

I love both Amy and Jasmine. I can't choose between them. I'm thrilled for Amy and sad for Jasmine. I admit that when the season started I didn't have high expectations for Jasmine. I thought she would go out early and that her biggest draw was that she was Cyrus' ex-girlfriend. Boy, did she prove me wrong! Jasmine is amazing! She has the best legs ever on SYTYCD. And she went for it on every routine. I wish both she and Amy could have won. I think what put Amy over the top were her routines with Travis and Robert. They were both beyond stunning.

Overall, I thought this season was good, but not great. For me, I don't think this cast is going to be remembered like other seasons. Many of the dancers were very strong, especially the girls, but not very memorable unfortunately. If you put Amy, Jenna, Haley, Makenzie, Alexis, and Brittany in a row, I don't think I could tell you who was who. Especially Haley and Makenzie. Great dancers they are, but are we going to be talking about them like we still talk about Allison and Heidi and Katherine and Melanie? Many of the routines were wonderful, but would they make any top 10 lists?

I'll list my top 5 most memorable / favorite routines of the season, in no particular order, off the top of my head:
Jasmine and Alan's "blindfold" routine
Amy and Fik-shun's bellhop routine
Amy and Fik-shun's waitress routine
Jenna and Mark K.'s routine
Tucker and Robert's brother routine
And I have to also mention Comfort's reptile walk. I can't say I loved the routine, but her reptile walk was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen on this show. How did she do that?!?! That girl is mad talented! :)

librarianintx

No comments: