Thursday, January 09, 2014

Kat Kinsman article on battle with anxiety

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/08/living/anxiety-coping/

This is a long article, and a great one, about what it feels like to battle anxiety on a daily basis. Here are the paragraphs that resonated the most with me:

""You're so useless. You let down the people you love. Everyone who's been stupid enough to love you will regret it when they realize how weak you are." It goes on and on until my body just shuts down for a couple of hours."

"Anxiety hurts. It's the precise inverse of joy and blots out pleasure at its whim, leaving a dull, faded outline of the happiness that was supposed to happen. It's also as sneaky as hell."

"What am I afraid will happen? There's no easy answer to that. Anxiety is not easily explicable or rational -- at least not to those who don't suffer from it -- and that only compounds the problem."

"But Generalized Anxiety Disorder (300.02 in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders and the single most common mental health diagnosis) is more nebulous than that. It's free-floating fear that metastasizes until it's all-consuming and often debilitating. For me, it's physically painful, from stomach, head and muscle aches to exhaustion from chronic insomnia to raw thumb skin that I've picked at until it bled -- and kept picking some more."

"It's deeply alienating to friends who assume that I didn't come to their party, show up at their event or call to explain because I didn't care enough or didn't love them anymore. It's perhaps even more humiliating to explain that I was too terrified to leave my house and interact with people in person where they could see what a drab, value-free mess of a person I am and that they'd made a mistake for ever liking me in the first place."

"Anti-anxiety medications work beautifully for millions of people. The withdrawal from a particularly wicked one nearly ended me, and the brain zaps (those are sharp, horrifying electrical currents you can physically feel inside your head) and metabolic sluggishness increasingly outweighed any benefits while I was on it. Perhaps I will change my mind someday, but for now that's not an option."

"I'm sick to death of feeling ashamed for this illness, am just plain worn out from the physical fight and angry that I've let it thieve so much life and time with my loved ones."

So I posted a good chunk of the article. Thank you, Kat Kinsman, for posting it, and for your bravery in sharing your struggle with the world. I've shared bits and pieces of my fight on this blog. Writing about it, talking about it, is hard, because you feel embarrassed. You think everyone is in control all the time, but they're really not. You don't want to look weak, or crazy, or both. And you think if people know, they will be looking at you all the time, waiting for you to have an attack. They will either shy away from you because they are uncomfortable, or they will become overprotective. But I have come to realize two important concepts: 1) People can rarely tell when you're having an attack, even people who are emotionally close to you, and 2) People are busy with their own lives. They care about you, they worry about you, but they also have their own lives to lead. They have better things to do (usually!) than stand or sit around, waiting for you to have an attack.

And two more important concepts, even more important than the first two:
1) An attack always goes away. ALWAYS. Some are worse than others, some last longer than others, but they always come to an end. Often if I can focus on something - a book, a game, a puzzle, a television show - I don't even realize until later that the attack has come and gone. Its often very hard to tell yourself that when its happening, but I think its helpful to remind yourself of that when its not happening. Sometimes when I'm concentrating on something, I'll stop for a minute and say to myself, "Oh wow, I was having a hard time like an hour ago, and now I'm fine. Cool."

2) Try to live in the moment. This has been a revelation for me. I realized that my ruminations are worries about what COULD happen. And yes, it is within the realm of possibility that someone I love could die in a car accident, or I could accidentally burn down my apartment, or I could fall and break a hip, or any number of calamities. But they haven't happened YET. And there is a good chance they won't. At least not today. Learn to live in the moment. Right now, at this moment, everything is okay. And that is all the information I need. Worrying about what might happen is pointless. The future is out of my control, at least for stuff like that. Live in the moment, and revel in the fact that in this moment, you are okay, and life is good. Learning to live in the moment has the power to increase joy and decrease worry I think. Whenever a rumination pops into my head now, I try to say to myself, "Stay in the moment. Stop worrying about the future. This has not happened, and hopefully never will. Live for today."

More to come.
librarianintx







No comments: