Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Quote

"Kristin will show us all how to laugh when others are frowning, how to dance when others are sitting in the corner, how to keep trying when we have all not gotten it right on the third or fourth tries. Kristin will continue to be a life coach, defining me, calibrating me, inspiring me. I know that she has given me gifts that I could never repay over a lifetime, no matter how hard I try."

by Brian Skotko, M.D., M.P.P, from his essay, "Driving Forward," included in the book Thicker Than Water: Essays by Adult Siblings of People with Disabilities, edited by Don Mayer (Woodbine House, 2009, ISBN: 978-1-890627-91-1)

In a perfect world, all siblings who have brothers or sisters with disabilties would feel this way...and would be able to express themselves so beautifully.

librarianintx

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you read the book? Like it?

librarian in TX said...

I ordered it for work, and just started reading it. Pretty good so far. I'm glad to see a book that explores the emotions of adults who have siblings with disabilities. Its a segment of our population that needs to have its voices heard.

Thanks for the comments! :)