Monday, February 22, 2010

Librarian 2.0 Step 7: Tagging, Folksonomies, and Social Bookmarking

I've skipped a few sections, but here are my thoughts on tagging using delicious:

Honestly, I'm still confused by delicious. It seems really cool, but it also seems confusing to me. It feels too unstructured. I like folders. I like compartmentalization. To have a list of random bookmarks seems unorganized to me. Maybe I just need to learn more about it. I like LibraryThing a lot, and I like the idea of patrons being able to add links and reviews and make the library experience more interactive. I enjoy creating guides and pathfinders, so the idea that tagging and bookmarking might make those documents obsolete doesn't sit well with me. But having information be timely, accessible, and easily updatable is important to me. So I'm keeping an open mind and I want to understand tagging better.

librarianintx

No comments: