Thursday, September 17, 2026

Dancing with the Stars Season 35 Week 1

 Hello again dance fans!

I am SO excited our show is back!!

I like this cast A LOT, and I see A LOT of potential. 

I have some thoughts on who went home and why, but first, my favorite performances of the week:

Harry Shum Jr and Jenna

I knew Harry would be good. He's got a dance background. 

What I didn't know was how AMAZING his chemistry would be with Jenna. 

Holy cow! Their routine was SMOKIN' HOT! 

More of that, please. 

Ezra Frech and Daniella 

I absolutely ADORE how inclusive DWTS is. 

Can an above the knee amputee who also has a hand difference do ballroom dancing? 

YES HE CAN!

Ezra "can do" attitude and Daniella's inspired choreography translated into a showstopping Tango. 

People will not be rooting for this team because they feel sorry for Ezra. 

They will be voting because they want to see what magic will happen next. 

Maura Higgins & Mark

Maura, no dance experience?!?! Seriously?!

She was a revelation. 

I was mesmerized by that routine. 

Mark is a brilliant teacher and choreographer, AND give credit to Maura for working hard, listening to the pro, and being a fast learner. 

Jenna Dewan and Val

Like Harry, I knew Jenna would do well because she has a dance background. 

Their Tango looked like a professional routine.

And damn, Jenna looks she is aging in reverse. She looked H-O-T!!

Now, as to who went home and why:

Conner Levitt and Adele

As I say repeatedly, DTWS is NOT a dance competition. 

It is a popularity contest. 

Some people don't like Conner's wife Whitney. 

Conner likely isn't well-known, except for those who watch the Secret Lives of Mormon Wives.

Some people are upset that Adele won The Next Pro. 

Some people may not have watched The Next Pro. 

Conner was not the worst male dancer this week. 

But he was eliminated. 

Many people would say that Sarah Jane Nader was cut because she was dancing with a woman. 

I disagree. 

Jo Jo Siwa and Jenna Johnson were a pair on Season 30 of DWTS; the first same-sex pair on the show. 

They were runners-up to the winners, Iman Shumpert and Daniella. 

Jo Jo is very popular with many young people, and DWTS fans know and adore Jenna.

So, what happened with Sarah Jane and her pro, Hailey? 

I don't think they were well-known enough to get the votes. 

The viewers know Sarah Jane as Brooke's sister, and Hailey as Jenna's niece. 

That's not enough to get votes. 

Maybe being a same sex pair didn't help, but I don't think that was the reason they were eliminated. 

Again, I applaud DWTS for their inclusive casting, and I wish Sarah Jane and Hailey had made it further. 

There were a lot of nerves week one, especially among the ladies. 

But like I said, I see potential...in almost everyone. 

librarianintx

No comments: