Wednesday, May 18, 2022

When a Television Show Ends

I watch a lot of TV. Dramas and documentaries mostly. A few comedies and reality shows. True crime. Some science fiction.

I am picky about my reality TV. No Kardashians. No Bachelor / Bachelorette. No Paradise Island.

Family, medical, and firefighter shows are my jams when it comes to dramas. When I fall in love with a cast of characters, I fall hard. My So Called Life. Thirtysomething. ER. If we want to go way back: Little House on the Prairie. The Waltons. Eight is Enough. I used to watch soap operas too. Daytime and Nighttime.

So when a show that I love ends - it's tough. I struggle. I get emotionally invested in the characters and the storylines. I feel like I know these people. I care about them. I learn from them. I look forward to seeing them every week. I celebrate their joys and commisserate with their sorrows. They become a part of my world.

This is Us is ending next week. I am already in mourning. I'm not ready to let them go. I love the Pearson family. I have seen every episode. The story has come full circle. I have witnessed their failures and triumphs. I have watched them grow up, have children, grow old, and pass away. I have been through lifetimes with them in the span of six seasons. 

But I want more.

Not every series finale has been wonderful and satisfying (I'm looking at you, Shameless) But I think This Is Us will be. The penultimate episode was a masterclass of acting and storytelling. I will be sad, but the experience will have been worth my time, my attention, my emotions.

Thank you Pearson family. And all the families and medical staff and starship crews and other casts that have come before you. And will come after you.

librarianintx 

No comments: