Thursday, April 18, 2019

Going to a new doctor

Ladies, I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know...
Going to the gynecologist is not fun. 
No woman enjoys that exam.

Going to any new doctor is nerve wracking for me, but going to a new gynecologist is especially anxiety inducing.
I have had a few bad experiences with gynecologists.
And unfortunately my mind - and body - remembers.

Would this doctor be understanding of my disability, of my anxiety?
Would she be patient, calm, helpful?
Would she refuse to assist me getting up from the exam table, like a previous doctor had done?
Would she grab my legs and pull me to the end of the table, either in a misguided effort to be helpful, or because the doctor was frustrated that I was taking too long to get into position?

I am incredibly relieved to report that this doctor was everything I needed her to be.
She was friendly, personable, and immediately put me at ease.
She reminded me that no one likes a gynecological exam.
Even though she was running late, she was patient and let me take my time getting into position.
She offered to help, but she didn't insist or take matters into her own hands.
She was gentle and told me what she was doing during every step of the process.
She was encouraging, asked me if I was okay, and told me I was doing great.
I didn't feel like she was treating me differently than any other patient.

It's hard to put into words how important her demeanor and actions were to me.
I'm hoping the success of this exam will help put to rest my demons of previous gynecology exams.
I want to remember this experience when I have my appointment next year.
That is my goal.

librarianintx

No comments: