Tuesday, April 02, 2019

"Be on Time Chronicles" 4/2/19

Last year I went to the Texas Teen Book Festival for the first time.
I really enjoyed it.
It is much smaller than the Texas Book Festival, which is a massive endeavor covering blocks of territory inside and around the State Capitol building.

The Teen Book Festival was held at St Edward's University last year. St Ed's is located in south Austin, and is within the Metro Access para-transit service area.
All of the sessions were in one building on the campus.
There were a few vendor booths nearby outside, while the rest of the booths, and the bookstore area, were in the gym not far from the building that held the sessions.

It turned out to be a warm day, and I did get tired from walking, and from standing for a long time so I could meet two of the authors and get my books signed.
But it was way easier for me than the big Texas Book Festival.

Last night I saw on Facebook that the date for the Texas Teen Book Festival was posted.
It will be on October 12th.

Cool, I thought. I'm gonna go again. It's totally do-able for me.

Then I looked closely.

The festival will not be at St. Edward's this year.
It will be at Southwestern University.
That's in Georgetown.
Metro Access doesn't go to Georgetown.
There is an interurban bus from Austin to Georgetown, but it doesn't run on weekends.
Even if it did, there's only one stop, and it isn't at Southwestern University.

So I'm screwed.
No Texas Teen Book Festival for me, unless I find someone to go with.
Or I could take a ride share.
But that would be expensive.

Sigh.
Okay not just a sigh.
This sucks big time.
Why did they have to change the venue?
And why did they have to change it to a place in another city?

Our society is just not built for people who can't drive, or who don't have a car.
People with disabilities who have vehicles and the ability to drive have so many more opportunities than people with disabilities who rely on public transportation, especially para-transit.

I see postings on Facebook from people with disabilities that can drive, and all the group and individual endeavors that they experience.
Meals at restaurants
Shopping
Movies
Concerts
Social, cultural, political, educational events
Excursions to nearby cities
Sometimes I can do one of these things in a day. Usually it takes hours to do one event. One movie. One concert. One cultural event. I can rarely do more than one thing, unless there is a restaurant near or inside the building I'm going to. And trips out of town are impossible unless I'm traveling on Megabus or Greyhound to a city where I have family or friends that I can stay with. No drives to take pictures in the wildflowers for me. No day trips to a nearby city to sight see. It's just not possible. Not unless someone drives me.

And if I go with someone, then I'm on their schedule and they have the power. Their car. Their timeline. Often their decision on where we go and how long we stay and what all we do. Which means I have to make sure I can keep up, that I have the time and energy and concentration to do everything on their agenda. 

My inability to drive and lack of a vehicle are so limiting and frustrating.
Maybe there will be self-driving in my lifetime, but the cost will likely be prohibitive.

I do the best I can with the options I have.
I try to live a productive, satisfying, fulfilling life.
I do what I can to make things happen for myself.

librarianintx
 


No comments: