Friday, January 25, 2019

The Year in Review: 2018

It's almost the end of January, and I haven't written my recap of 2018.

I turned 50 in 2018, and I had big hopes that it would be a spectacular time, a transition, the year of "the new me."

None of that happened. It was a rough year. And there was no metamorphosis.

But good things still happened in 2018. I did grow and change to a certain extent. And I came through all the bad times a bit stronger I think.

My mantra in 2018 became, "Well, that sucked, but it could have been worse."

Here's a rundown of some of the tough patches:
1) significant leak in the apartment
2) rent amount confusion
3) identity theft
4) eyeglass prescription mix-up that left me seeing poorly for months
5) one of the worst inner ear flare-ups I've had since I was diagnosed in 2000
6) washing machine broke (it was repaired)
7) AT&T Uverse went down (it was repaired)
8) Megabus ticket mix-up

Still, I feel like I managed to salvage the year.

I went to two concerts, Culture Club and Def Leppard / Journey, saw Kathy Griffin live, plus I went to RuPaul's "Werk the World" live show and met the queens.

I met author Liane Moriarty.

I went to three Austin Public Library True Crime Book Club events, one 40's / 50's meet up game and music night, two Open Mike events at Malvern Books, a few NMD United meet-up lunches, the Texas Teen Book Festival in October, the Empty Bowl Project in November, and met co-workers for lunch at Central Market a few times. I went out to lunch, to the mall, to Barnes and Noble, and to get mani/pedis with friends in Houston. I also re-connected with two cousins on my dad's side and a former high school friend.

I went to the Oscar de la Renta exhibit at the Museum of Fine Arts in Houston. And I went to the Austin Aquarium twice.

I saw some movies, both in the theater and at home:
I, Tonya
Girl on a Train
The Final Year
Victoria & Abdul
Wonder
The Theory of Everything
Pitch Perfect
Disobedience
RBG
Whitney Houston documentary
A Star is Born
Bohemian Rhapsody
Mary Queen of Scots

I ate at three new restaurants: Black Bear Diner in Katy, and Star of India and Honest Mary's in Austin.

I learned to like almonds.

I dabbled in cooking last year. All the dishes I made were vegan:
1) mushroom and spinach bowtie pasta
2) creamy garlic mushroom rigatoni
3) Mexican spiced quinoa
4) fettuccini alfredo
5) gnocchi with pasta sauce, mushrooms, olives, and peas
6) mushroom risotto

In disability-related happenings:
I went to the Transportation Works conference in Waco
The Campaign for Disability Employment shared my post and picture about their campaign
I participated in three women's health online focus groups

In political stuff:
I wrote about 60 postcards for the Democratic Party
I attended Beto O'Rourke's rally at ACC
I was in a picture on Beto's Instagram's page from that rally

In work-related news:
I was a judge for the Center for the Book's "Letters about Literature" contest
I participated in the "Read Across America" event at Rodriguez Elementary
I worked the Round Rock ISD Transition Fair
I participated in TSLAC's first Staff Development Day
The Disability Advisory Committee was nominated for a SafePlace Community Champion Group Award
SafePlace Disability Services PSA was released on Facebook featuring me and two members of the Disability Advisory Committee

I read 27 books in 2018. My goal was to read at least 24.

Unfortunately, I did not hit my goal of 100 blog posts during the year. I only wrote 90.

So, seeing it all written out, I guess it wasn't such a bad year. I mean, bad things happened, but a lot of good stuff occurred as well.

I'll focus on the good.
And hope for even better this year.

librarianintx






No comments: