Thursday, January 31, 2019

"Be on Time" Chronicles - writing about transportation

A state agency asked me to write something about how my transportation affects me.
This was my response:


"Simply put, transportation makes my life way more difficult that it needs to be.
It limits me.
It isolates me.
It frustrated me.
It exhausts me.

Going anywhere takes so much organization, planning, and sometimes it’s just too complicated to deal with.

A single event can literally take me hours to get to and get home from.

A few examples:

            My six-hour work day translates to an eight / nine-hour day because of my transportation.

            A forty-five-minute author talk / signing at a bookstore across town turned into a five-hour adventure because of transportation. There were no accidents to make us late. No weather-related problems. No vehicle malfunctions. It was simply a matter of the para-transit shared ride system.

            A trip to a grocery store one mile from my apartment, an activity that should have taken less than an hour, lasted three hours instead.

But I know I am lucky.
At least I have access to transportation.
My daily trips can be arduous, but at least I can get to and from work, the grocery store, doctor appointments, and some social activities.
My transportation can be stressful, yet I am grateful that it is safe, predominantly reliable, and affordable for me.
I know my situation could be worse.
I am not confined to my home due to a lack of transportation.

Some people with disabilities are blocked from being productive members of society simply because they don’t have accessible transportation.
They cannot work outside the home.
They are unable to get to medical appointments.
They are prevented from having social lives and engaging in community events.

Para-transit services, accessible ride shares, accessible bus systems, and especially partnerships among these modes of transportation are paving the way to independence and inclusion in society for many people with disabilities who cannot operate a vehicle.

But we need to do even more.  
Transportation that is accessible, safe, reliable, and affordable must be a right, not a privilege."

librarianintx

No comments: