Monday, January 14, 2019

"Be On Time" Chronicles 1/14/19

My journey from work to the grocery store this past Friday was an ordeal, caused by a combination of unfortunate choices by me and an arduous Metro Access schedule.

Problems #1: I was hungry
I don't have time for breakfast, and I only get one break at work and no lunch, so I tend to graze at my desk. Usually I eat all the food I bring, which varies but can include bread, cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, fruit, hard boiled eggs, etc. On this particular day, I got busy and didn't get to eat before I left. Eating in the Metro Access vehicle is a no-no. Some people do it. Some drivers don't care, while others are rule sticklers. If I'm seriously famished / having a low blood sugar moment, I'll sneak something, but otherwise I wait because I don't want to be chastised like a child. If I drove my own car, I could eat and drink what I wanted to, and deal with any spillage consequences. But I am not in my own vehicle.

Problem #2: I had to pee
Badly
"Why didn't you go before you left?" you might want to ask.
I did.
But it didn't help.
Because I have a rule that I don't drink anything at least an hour before I'm scheduled to leave work, but I rarely follow my own rule, and it haunts me repeatedly.
I drank a fourth to a half glass of water during the last half hour of my work day, and then I went to the restroom five minutes before my ride window opened, but I couldn't pee enough.
Then the thirty minute clock started, my driver was late, and by the time I was finally in the vehicle and we were on our way, I really had to go.
I was screwed.
In the past, I have asked the driver to stop so I could pee. Sometimes I have simply had to. But I try to do it when it's an absolute emergency, and also I tend to ask if we are picking up / dropping off at a business or medical facility.
On this day, we were already behind schedule, I was trying to get to the store, and we had a drop off and a pick up that were both at residences.

So to get my mind off my increasingly uncomfortable situation, I decided to play a word game on my phone.

Good idea for redirecting my brain.
Bad idea because my inner ear didn't like me looking at my phone and not at the road.
3) I started feeling carsick

So it was a triple whammy - hangry, carsick, and having to pee - believe me when I say it was a VERY LONG hour in that car. Again because of the evil thirty minute window, my trip from work to HEB took about ninety minutes. A straight shot would have taken about twenty minutes.

Luckily, it was a good ending to a rough ride. I made it to the grocery store without fainting, vomiting, or wetting my pants.

A successful Metro Access excursion

librarianintx

No comments: