Thursday, January 10, 2019

Positive Psychology

I watched a webinar about positive psychology at work yesterday.
Positive Psychology has several caveats, including the fact that the choices you make influence your daily behaviors.

There is also the concept of growth mindset, which has to do with the belief that your brain is always growing and learning, and needs to be exercised like any other muscle in your body.
Fixed mindset makes you think you're not good at certain tasks, so you don't try to accomplish them. You are also reluctant to attempt new tasks and endeavors because you fear failure and frustration.

The facilitator asked if it's possible to change from a fixed mindset to a growth mindset.
I think it is, and I feel I am making that change.
I used to be so nervous to try to something new. I would rarely attempt anything outside my comfort zone. I knew what I was good at, and I knew what I wasn't good at, and I just wouldn't do the tasks that I struggled with. I have never been good with reading directions, so I would just be helpless and wait for someone else to set something up for me. I was also terrible at giving directions, so I would let others find their own way and I would just say, "I don't know how to do that," or "I don't know how to get there."

Now I feel that I'm more willing to try. I still might not figure something out, but at least I make the attempt, and sometimes I'm actually successful. It's so empowering to work on something and fix it or create it or set it up all by yourself, and not need help from anyone. Sometimes the struggle is actually fun and exciting, which is a mindset I never thought I would experience. Of course it's okay to ask for help, and to need people sometimes. But it feels great to be independent and believe in yourself and your abilities. You feel better about yourself when you can at least say you tried to do something on your own.

I'm so pleased that at least to a certain extent I am developing a growth mindset.

librarianintx 


No comments: