Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Dancing with the Stars Season 27 Nite 1 Part 1 9/24/18

Season 27 dance fans! Let's go!

The opening number, choreographed by Mandy Moore of course, was not as big a production as in seasons past, but it was still plenty showy and glitzy.

1) Mary Lou Retton (gymnast) and Sasha
Cha Cha
Song: "Treasure" by Bruno Mars
Mary Lou is a national treasure, America's sweetheart, and she is likely going to sell every dance she performs with her sparkling personality and dazzling smile. I grinned through the entire routine. It was sweet as candy and felt patriotic too, with the red, white, and blue costumes. It was a little too cutesy for a Cha Cha; she had bounce, but not a sexy bounce. Still, I enjoyed the dance.
Len: "terrific confidence, nifty for 50, don't rush your footwork"
Bruno: "competitive streak, went too quick, lost fluidity"
Carrie Ann: "I loved it. You're golden. But there was almost a lift" (I saw that!)
Scores: 6, 7 6
My score: 7

2) Milo Manheim (Disney star) and Witney
Cha Cha
He's 17!
I loved the purple costumes.
He's got the energy of a 17 year old but absolutely no qualms about dancing or shaking what his momma gave him. I'm impressed! It was a proper Cha Cha, good hip action, and good chemistry with Witney. He's got a fun personality, and his partnering skills were admirable. He has moves! Too bad tween girls don't watch Dancing with the Stars, but maybe they'll tune in and vote for him.
Bruno: "exuberance, zest, You are great!"
Carrie Ann: "exciting to watch, posture is fantastic"
Len: "lost a little control, but you're a dancer"
Scores: 7, 6, 7
My score: 7 (almost an 8!)
Erin: "You just whipped that out!" (Quote of the night #1)

3) Evanna Lynch (Harry Potter) and Keo
Foxtrot
She wanted to go to dance school.
She is what this show is all about - Someone who loves to dance and wants to learn how to do it properly.
Keo might have a contender!
She has musicality, she radiated charm, her frame looked good - I'm excited for both of them!
She looked lovely too.
There was good energy in the dance, and they covered the floor nicely.
Carrie Ann: "You can dance! Careful with your shoulders"
Len: "You are a dancer, but the dance didn't suit you" (Really?)
Bruno: "Qualities are there; cast a spell with your body"
Scores: 7, 5, 6 (Len, what?!)
My score; 7 (almost an 8!)

4) Danelle Umstead (blind Paraolympian) and Artem
Foxtrot
It was a slow Foxtrot, except for the spin at the end. Artem did not make it easy on her, having her come down the stairs. He didn't have to do that, and I personally think it was a bad decision, because it made her limitations more obvious. She was hesitant, and obviously looking to Artem for direction and guidance. It interrupted the flow of the dance. Am I being ableist? I just think they should not have tackled the stairs on her first dance.
Len: "Good job Artem; you've taught well"
Bruno: "You've done it, lovely, classy, classic"
Carrie Ann: "I'm still processing; what you did was spectacular"
Scores: 6, 6, 6
My score: 6

5) Bobby Bones (radio personality) and Sharna
Jive
He has no dance experience.
Extra dancers - ON NIGHT ONE! STOP IT!
For no experience, he did well! He had good energy and nice kicks and flicks. But his partnering skills need work.
He was SUPER excited after the routine. Out of control, actually. It was a little uncomfortable to see. Is he on something?
Bruno: "surreal, exquisitely demented"
Carrie Ann: "wild rock star thing"
Len: "attacked the dance"
Scores; 7, 6, 7
My score: 6 (I deducted a point for the over-celebration. Too mean?)

6) Juan Pablo Di Pace (actor) and Cheryl
Am I being racist / stereotyping that I expected him to be good at a Latin dance?
Well, I was right, although there is room for improvement. I actually think the routine didn't show off enough of his assets and abilities. He didn't get the opportunity to shake his bon bon, or other body parts, enough. But the sizzle with Cheryl was clearly evident. He is a crowd pleaser! I see another Gile Marini in the making. And look at Cheryl - She looks amazing!!
Carrie Ann: "fuego potential" (That means fire, dance fans)
Len: "Hunk with the junk in the trunk" (Quote of the night #2)
Bruno: "I'd pay for that - very hot!"
Scores; 7, 7, 8
My score: 7 (almost an 8!)

7) Nikki Glaser (stand up comedian) and Gleb
Salsa
It was a rather short routine.
She's not a dancer, but there's potential. She didn't dance for laughs; it was a serious routine. She was trying to be steamy. She's a little gangly, but she did okay, especially for a first dance.
Len; 'too cool and careful"
Bruno: "not a total train wreck; it was jagged"
Carrie Ann: "You let your wild woman out"
Scores; 6, 5, 6
My score: 6

End of part 1

librarianintx

No comments: