Thursday, September 20, 2018

So You Think You Can Dance Top 6 8/27/18

Jensen and Kiki
Cha Cha - Jenna Johnson
How convenient that Jenna, a current all star, was the choreographer for her former partner Kiki, now an all star himself? Not a coincidence at all.
No storyline, just a crisp, sharp Cha Cha, with a lot of Jensen booty-shaking.
The end trick was super cool and innovative.
I didn't feel much chemistry and heat between the pair, but it was an enjoyable routine.

Genessy and Lex
Contemporary - Mandy and Elizabeth
I didn't see anything unique or amazing in this routine, to be honest.
It was performed well, but it wasn't especially memorable, except the masks were creepy.
Just not my cup of tea.
Nigel often complains when masks are part of the costumes, but he didn't this time.

Slavik and JaJa
Hip Hop - Comfort
Unusual music and setting for a hip hop routine.
It was quirky, but again, I didn't see much made me say wow, except the one lift.
But I did feel a connection between them.
And I liked Slavik's look - the slick hair and suspenders worked for me.

Hannahlei and Marko
Contemporary - Robert Roldan
I love seeing some of the all stars as choreographers!
Lovely routine, lots of dramatic moments, beautiful lifts.
That fall backward showed how much trust Hannahlei had in Marko after one time of partnering.
Stunning!

Jay Jay and Lauren
Jazz - Mandy Moore
There are songs that absolutely make you want to dance, and Bruno Mars' "Runaway Baby," is one of those songs.
So I loved the routine mainly for the song, but I also think Jay Jay and Lauren put a lot of energy into the routine and made it highly entertaining.
The "pretzel" trick near the beginning of the dance was way cool.
OMG, Jay Jay leaping over Kat, and the judges' / choreographers' / audience reaction was PRICELESS! This was my favorite moment of the season!! Kat will do anything to create a moment on the show. I remember when she put Twitch's grille in her mouth! LOL!

Darius and Taylor
Contemporary - Travis Wall
SO powerful, so edgy, so dynamic and potentially dangerous (Taylor could have slipped on the skirt).
Such an amazing message.
Kudos to Travis for creating such an important piece of choreography.
A tremendously brave routine that will be remembered for always on SYTYCD.
Without a doubt, Darius is a star.
I agree completely with Twitch - this piece transcends the competition.
I am so glad it was so well-received.

Jay Jay and Jensen
Tahitian - Tiana Nonosina Liufau
I googled her name to make sure I spelled it correctly. :)
I love what Jay Jay said about respecting another culture.
The costumes were sensational.
Jensen's hips were outrageous! I know she uses her hips a lot in ballroom dances, but she explained that Tahitian dancing requires very different hip action.
And how did she move her body like that while wearing that ginormous head piece!
Jay Jay's leg action was incredible.
I love the show for introducing us to another style of dance.
Fantastic routine!!

Genessy and Slavik
Salsa - Jonathan and Oksana
For sure Genessy was a spicy tamale in this routine - She had the look and the moves and she was feeling the music.
She definitely carried the routine.
Slavik was somewhere else.
As good as Genessy was, though, you have to have two people in a dance like this.
It didn't have the flow that a Salsa should have.
It felt labored.
And they didn't move much around the dance floor.
I didn't feel energy and vitality in this performance.

Darius and Hannahlei
Argentine Tango - Leonardo and Miriam
Hannahlei is such a tiny thing and Darius is a strong, confident partner.
He had no trouble slinging her around and hoisting her up in the air.
They achieved the drama, the lines, and the shaping required in an Argentine Tango.
They also had the chemistry.

Results:
Darius and Jay Jay were eliminated.
WHAT?!?!
They are both outstanding!
And that means there will be three girls and one guy in the finale.
That will make for some interesting routines.
I'm sure there will be all stars involved as well.

librarianintx

No comments: