Thursday, March 15, 2018

Thirty Day Writing Challenge: Ageism

Well, obviously I'm against ageism.

My birthday was five days ago. I am 50 now. They used to say that your life is over at 50. The best years are behind you. But now many say that life begins at 50. I think a metamorphosis can occur when you turn 50. There can be a feeling of wanting to get your life balanced, and accomplish the goals you have for your life. That is the way I'm feeling. I feel like I've wasted a lot of my life being sick, afraid of failure, afraid of success, anxious about everything. Now is my time is my new mantra. Stop worrying and live my life.

Do what you enjoy, no matter what age you are. If you're over 50, but you love to roller skate, then roller skate. Don't stop doing it because you think it's an activity just for kids. Do what makes you happy, what keeps you fulfilled and loving life. Cross stitching. Hip hop dancing. Playing the piano. Skiing. Baking. Whatever.

And definitely continue to learn and try new things. That keeps you young: physically, mentally, and emotionally, and gets you excited about life every day. Learn a language. Play a new game. Seek out free classes on topics that interest you. Stay current with technology. Meet new people. Be as physically active as you can. Make taking care of you a top priority: mind, body, and spirit.

NEVER say to yourself:
I'm too old to do this.
or
I'm too old to learn how to do this.

Stay positive
Believe in your abilities
Don't procrastinate
Accomplish your goals - and then come up with new ones
LIVE

It's a cliche, but it's true:
Age is only a number.

Look young.
Act young
Feel young

librarianintx



No comments: