Monday, September 14, 2015

Dancing with the Stars Season 21

The new season starts tonight, and I am so excited! Here is a quick breakdown of how I am looking forward to seeing, who I don't know, and who I wish had not been selected:

This season there are several contestants that I've never heard of. Here is a list, with their professional partners:
Hayes Grier and Emma
Andy Grammer and Allison
Alek Skarlatos and Lindsey
Carlos Pena and Whitney
Alexa Vega and Mark

I guess it's a sign that I'm getting old that I don't know so many of the contestants this season.

Who am I most excited to see?

Bindi Irwin and Derek
I think they will look great together. Bindi has a great personality and a backstory that will make people root for her. She is young, which is not always an asset on DWTS, but Zendaya was young, and she made it to runner up in her season. Shawn Johnson won her season when she was still a teenager. Bindi has some dance experience, so we'll see if that will translate well to ballroom.

Chaka Khan and Keo
Another couple that I think will look great together. Keo has had bad luck with partners, so hopefully third season is the charm for him. Chaka is a singer, so with any luck she will have rhythm.

Nick Carter and Shauna
I love me a Backstreet Boy. They should be fun together.

Victor Espinoza and Karina
Victor is a jockey, so he is tiny! I wondered which professional dancer they would pair him with, and I expected it to be Whitney, who I think is the shortest female dancer on DWTS. Karina is not petite, especially in heels. Their pairing should be interesting, not only because of the height difference, but also because of the accents.

Kim Zolciak-Biermann and Tony
I can't wait to see the outfits and wigs/hair extensions!

Tamar Braxton and Val
I don't know that much about her, but I think there could be fireworks between her and Val.

Sigh. And here is the short list of people I am not thrilled to see:

Gary Busey and Anna
This pairing just makes me nervous. I think he could be unpredictable and hard to manage. I also don't think he'll be a good dancer. But maybe he'll prove me wrong.

Paula Deen and Louis
I think she is a racist and I don't want to watch any show that she is a part of. But I am not going to boycott one of my favorite shows because of her. I am disappointed that DWTS selected her. But hopefully she won't last long.

Finally, I had heard a rumor that Bethany Hamilton might be on the show, but unfortunately such is not the case. She is the surfer who lost her arm in a shark attack a few years ago. I watched the "Amazing Race" two seasons ago strictly because she and her husband Adam were contestants. They came in third, but Bethany was a fierce competitor, completing challenges with ease that many contestants with two arms struggled with. I also loved how positive she and Adam were. They never fought with each other or played dirty, and they approached every situation with a calm, sunny, yet determined attitude. I would love to see her try dancing. She is a beautiful person, inside and out. Maybe she will be selected for another season.

I'm ready for Season 21 - bring it! :)
librarianintx

No comments: