Sunday, August 30, 2015

Sugar

All the articles these days are screaming about how bad sugar is for you. Don't consume it, avoid it, rid it from your body.

I don't want to give up sugar, especially chocolate. I enjoy it. I look forward to my afternoon snack of cookies or brownies. I'm excited when co-workers occasionally bring in donuts, cookies, or cake to share. Sometimes I pause and wonder if I should be eating sugar so early in the day. I realize that the treat will probably make me hyper and then I'll crash later. But I eat the donut, cookie, or cake anyway. Sometimes as early as 8 am.

I don't feel like I'm addicted to sugar. I occasionally go for a day without some form of chocolate. Sometimes I don't have time for a snack. I don't believe I have withdrawal symptoms or anything like that. I just enjoy chocolate. I would miss it if I gave it up. I have no desire to do that. But I want to be healthy.

I have a very close friend who is the healthiest person I know. He is a vegan. He does not smoke or drink. And he does not eat any kind of sugar. No refined sugar, brown sugar, honey, molasses, nothing. And no aspartame of course. I respect him, I am in awe of his self-control. But I don't want to limit myself that way, even though part of me does want to because I want to be healthy as I can.

Is sugar actually that bad for you? we've been consuming sugar for centuries. Why is there is much negativity about it lately?

Maybe at some point I'll try to eliminate sugar from my diet. If I ever become diabetic, I would have to make dietary changes. My mom is now pre-diabetic, and she has made many changes to her diet, although she has not given up sugar completely. She has cut down on sugar, and is severely limiting her carb intake.

But for now, I'm trying to eat as healthy as I can. I know I need to eat less bread and carbs, and more vegetables and fruit. And I need to get more exercise.

Having said all this, I really want an oreo. :) I've had two today, but I want another one. 

I feel like I have good self-control, but not when it comes to chocolate.

librarianintx




No comments: