Sunday, January 15, 2023

Do What You Can

It is imperative that when you have a chronic illness, or are recovering from a transient one, that you only do what you can manage.

You need time to recover and heal.

For me, that means sectioning activities into small amounts of time. 

I do what I want when I feel like doing it.

Fatigue and some brain fog are affecting me as I recover from COVID. 

So, for example, yesterday i:
Read for a few minutes throughout the day
Played one or two games of something at a time
Wrote a note or two
Exercised for a few minutes at a time
Organized my bathroom throughout the day.

Accomplishing activities in batches can make it easier when you are unwell.

Be prepared for frustration that completion is taking longer than usual - but giving yourself grace during this time is vital for your recovery. And if you have a chronic illness and then get sick or injured in addition, this means giving yourself grace until you return to baseline health, then continuing to give yourself grace as you deal with constant health issues. 

For many people who deal with chronic illness or disabilities, they already implement these concepts of short duration activities, patience and grace.

I'm still learning.

librarianintx 

No comments: