Monday, August 14, 2017

So You Think You Can Dance 2017 "Top 10 Revealed"

I don't know yet if I'm going to recap the whole season, and I realize I'm a week late on this one, but here goes...

Most of the Top 10 was not a shock to me, but there were a few surprises.

Fik-shun
Kyle vs Dassy
Dassy was chosen.
I think Fik-shun made a good choice. Dassy was very memorable from the auditions and Academy week. I agree that Dassy has a great personality, but Fik-shun still shines brighter to me. The routine was fun, but honestly didn't hold my attention all the way through.

Allison
Zachary vs Logan
Logan was chosen.
Logan danced with Season 9's Audrey because Allison injured her shoulder during rehearsals. As usual choreographer Tice tried to kill the dancers with an intricate routine full of intended falls and dragging and pulling each other across the floor, etc. But the result was a powerful and dramatic contemporary routine. Audrey was a great replacement - she is a sexy, emotional dancer who resembles Allison in many ways.

Jenna
Concrete vs Kiki
Kiki was chosen.
Jenna arguably had the toughest decision, having to make a choice between a krumper and a ballroom guy. She choreographed two completely routines at the end of Academy week, and they were both STELLAR! She was the only all-star to do that - devise a separate routine for each dancer. Of course I adore ballroom, so I'm glad she chose Kiki, and I think she made the right decision. Their dance made me so happy. It was cheeky, sexy, and fun. Jenna is an excellent ballroom dancer.

Cyrus
Havoc vs Kaylee
Kaylee was chosen.
I think Cyrus made a very brave decision. Havoc would have been the easier and more obvious choice - he's a street dancer, so a more similar style to Cyrus's animation, with less partnering skills needed, which is not Cyrus' strong suit. But I'm glad he decided to challenge himself and to give Kaylee, a very memorable contemporary fusion dancer, a chance to shine. I'm proud of Cyrus. I really enjoyed their routine. I thought Cyrus partnered her well, and Kaylee showed a lot of emotion and commitment to the routine. I was disappointed in the judges' harsh critique, especially for the first dance.

Gabby
Evan vs Lex
Lex was chosen.
Lex is arguably the best dancer this season. But as we know, the best dancer doesn't always win. Again, Gabby could have taken the easier way out and chosen Evan, who is a tapper. But she went with a contemporary dancer, Lex, who showed that he can tap as well as do other styles. I was disappointed at first that Lex went with Gabby, simply because tap is my least favorite dance genre. But that was an extremely likable and enjoyable routine. Lex nailed it! I loved it!

Comfort
Mark vs Deja
Mark was chosen.
I was a little disappointed here. I don't think either dancer was featured prominently during Academy week, but I do remember Deja more, I would have liked to see two female hip hop dancers perform together. Mark is good, and the routine definitely showcased him, but Comfort is just amazing; my eyes were constantly drawn to her. The judges talked about their great chemistry, but I thought she had stronger chemistry with Deja. Still, Mark does have a very fun, likeable personality that came out even more after the dance.

Marco
Sophia vs Koine
Koine was chosen.
Both of their routines during Academy week were gorgeous. I remember Koine more than Sophia. I remember her very compelling personal story. This routine was stunning, and I thought Koine's chemistry with Marco was off the chart. These two contemporary dancers were made for each other. She is a beautiful, timeless dancer. Nigel is already shipping them. I am too, actually. They looked ready for a wedding ceremony on the beach.

Paul
Christina vs Sydney
Sydney was chosen.
Paul probably had the easiest decision, choosing between two dancers in his ballroom style. I'm being picky here, but between the heels and the high ponytail, she was taller than him, which bothered me. But the height difference didn't impair their dancing or their lifts. They seem well-matched and were in sync when they danced side by side. It was a very solid routine.
(Hi Val! Love you tons! You choreographed an excellent routine. But please don't wear those glasses every again. You are super hot, and those frames were super silly) :)

Robert
Jonathan vs Taylor
Taylor was chosen.
No surprise here for me. Yes, Robert danced with JT (a boy) during last season's junior edition, and the partnership was magic. But I figured he would go with the girl here. Plus Taylor was much more memorable than Jonathan during the auditions and Academy week. Robert + Taylor + Travis Wall resulted in an entirely new definition of magic. Holy smokes!! The lifts, the lines, the emotion, the trust they already have in each other. I was blown away. W-O-W!! Was there a bobble or two? Yes. Actually, I think the correct term is "balance check," or is that for gymnastics? Anyway, did I care? Hell no! Did said bobbles, or checks, detract from the beauty, the lyricism, the athleticism of the performance? Hell no! Breathtaking! The end.
Standing "O" from the judges.
By the way, I can also see Taylor and Robert as a couple. Just sayin.' Koine and Marco looked ready for a beach wedding. Taylor and Robert looked ready for the bedroom.

Jasmine
Howard vs Robert
Robert was chosen.
This was a surprise to me. Jasmine is not a hip hop dancer; Robert is. And Nigel does not like flamboyant male dancers. He wants male dancers on the show to be masculine. Robert is not a masculine dancer; at least not in this routine. So this could get interesting. I think Jasmine is taking a big gamble. Howard dances in her style. Anyway, it was a very fun, entertaining routine. Any dance to a Bruno Mars song is going to be enjoyable.
Nigel raved about Robert, so maybe he's changed. He said he loved his sass and personality. Good for you, Nigel!

Based on these first dances, Lex and Taylor are the dancers to beat in my opinion. But we'll see what happens as the season progresses.

librarianintx

No comments: