Friday, August 18, 2017

Project Runway Season 16 Episode 1

I think I've only written one or two blog posts about Project Runway. I've never re-capped an entire season, and I'm not sure I'm going to start now. But I wanted to say how happy I am to see the different models that are on the show this season. Project Runway has always used models of various enthnicities and skin colors. This season they are also using models with various figure types - tall, short, thin, and plus sized. This is a big deal, and I applaud Project Runway for the change.

I don't know anything about fashion, which is why I've never recapped a season of Project Runway. Of course, I don't really know anything about dancing either, but I recap Dancing with the Stars and So You Think You Can Dance. For me, recapping is about what I like and don't like, not being an expert on the topic. So here is what I liked and didn't like about the first episode, when I agreed and didn't agree with the judges. Sometimes I vehemently disagree with the judges (think Gretchen winning over Mondo - TRAVESTY!!) But on this episode, I mostly agreed with the judges.

Absolutely, hands down, Deyonte won the first challenge. That dress was beautiful! The print was bold and lovely, it fit the model like a glove, she looked stunning. The end.

I also loved Kenya's dress, although I wish she had picked a colorful fabric rather than white. I agree with Heidi that it was too loose on top, but otherwise it was a perfect fit, and it looked luxe.

I did not like Brandon's outfit as much as the judges' did, but I like him, and I'm glad he got a good critique. I think he has a tough journey ahead, however, since he's a men's wear designer. But I'm happy to see he has potential.

Sorry, but the twins annoy me. It's nice that they were so friendly and welcoming to the other contestants as they arrived at the beginning of the show, but their mannerisms and enunciation are already getting on my nerves. I agree that Shawn's top was interesting and innovative, but overall the look was bordering on skanky. I could see that look at the VMA's, however. Definitely.

I absolutely agreed with who was eliminated. I don't understand why ChaCha was picked to be on the show. His clothes are too silly, too much like a costume. I knew the judges wouldn't get him, and I was right.

The surprise of the night for me was Batani, and not in a good way. What the heck happened to her? Her design aesthetic is so bold, colorful, innovative. Why in the world did she send that gray, drab mess down the runway? I'm shaking my head. Her model would have absolutely rocked a bright, African-style print. Luckily, the judges didn't vote her out, and hopefully she can pull herself together next week. I had her pegged as potentially one of the top designers this season.

librarianintx

librarianintx

No comments: