Wednesday, August 16, 2017

So You Think You Can Dance 2017 Episode 2

The opening number was by far my favorite opener ever on "So You Think You Can Dance." The Bee Gees and disco were my childhood, y'all! Absolutely brilliant! The music, the moves, the lights, the costumes, the hair - spot on! I didn't want it to end! None of these kids were born in the 70's, but they channeled the disco era perfectly. I loved it Mandy and Val!

Comfort and Mark
Jazz
Choreographer: Ray Leeper
Comfort and Mark sexed it up in this jazz routine. They look very hot together, and their moves were very much in sync. Mark performed very well. His partnering skills were strong for a b boy, but Comfort continues to be a scene stealer for me.

(speaking of steamy...Vanessa's outfit...rather distracting...) :)

Gabby and Lex
Argentine Tango
Choreographers: Miriam and Leonardo
They were both out of their element, but I think they coped well. There were a lot of lifts and nervewracking gancho kicks. That dance required very intricate partnering skills. I have to say, I was distracted during the first part of the dance, wondering if Lex had to cut off his man bun. I think he did.

Jenna and Kiki
Hip Hop
Choreographer: Luther Brown
So was Kiki "lit" during this routine? Did he redeem himself from his disastrous performance during the hip hop round of Academy week? Well, I don't think this dance was terrible. I think he was okay. But I think he was concentrating so much on the moves that he didn't think about expression. Jenna had to put enough feeling into the performance for both of them. The judges were more enthusiastic than I was about the routine and Kiki's ability, but I'm glad they liked it. Hopefully the voting audience did too.

Paul and Sydney
Contemporary
Choreographer: Jaci Royal
I'm being super picky here, because overall it was a beautiful dance, but I felt there were too many non-dancing moments in the piece. It took them awhile to start dancing, and then they stood there for too long at the end. These dances are short enough as it is, and while I understand those moments were part of the storyline, I just felt there needed to be more dancing. Having said all that, I think Sydney danced contemporary very well. Her lines were beautiful and she put a lot of emotion into the performance.

Allison and Logan
Jazz
Choreography: Brian Friedman
WOW! Allison is a tremendous dancer, but Logan absolutely lit that stage on fire! He was brilliant! Amazing power, speed, flexibility, jumping and leaping ability, partnering skills, AND he was sexy and cheeky too! He commanded the stage, the camera, AND Allison! Holy cow! Performance of the night so far by a mile. Way to go Logan!

Cyrus and Kaylee
Hip Hop
Choreographers: Pharside and Phoenix
How great was that? Pretty spectacular! The tricks were so exciting! Kaylee is fearless! It was so great to see Cyrus in his element, and for the judges to give them a great critique. I loved Cyrus' blue hat, although to be picky, I didn't quite understand Kaylee's outfit/costume. To me she looked like Patsy Cline singing at a state fair.

Robert and Taylor
Broadway
Choreographer: Al Blackstone
Fred and Ginger indeed. They looked like they stepped out of an old Hollywood movie. Classic. Timeless. Effortless. Beautiful lines. Lovely flow of movement. The trust they have in each other was on display again as she made that leap into his arms. Gorgeous. I loved every second of this routine. The judges gave them a standing ovation for the second week in a row.

Marco and Koine
African Jazz
Choreographer: Sean Cheesman
I loved the athleticism and the gymnastic quality of the routine. That piece required a lot of balance, flexibility, agility, and synchronicity. The music was interesting. I think if the performance had been any longer the music would have begun to annoy me. But kudos to Marco and Koine. That was one heck of a challenging routine.

Jasmine and Robert
Contemporary
Choreographer: Stacey Tookey
For a hip hop dancer Robert coped well with the partnering, lines, and lifts of this routine. It was an emotional piece, and I especially liked how the music swelled during the most dramatic parts of the dance. It wasn't my favorite routine, but it was solid.

Fik-shun and Dassy
Bollywood
Choreographer: Nakul Dev Mahajan
Okay, she did fall coming out of the big lift, but she recovered like a pro. And yes, she did bring the sexy! She looked stunning! Next to Ballroom, I think Bollywood is my second favorite genre of dance. I love the athleticism, the movements, the culture and history of the dance. That routine was a workout for sure, as most Bollywood performances are. The jumps, the lifts, the partnering work, your knees have to be in excellent condition to do Bollywood. I love the costumes too.

The bottom three were:
Logan
Sydney
Robert
As Nigel said, every week is going to be tough because these dancers are so good. I was very upset to see Logan in the bottom after his stellar performance.
It was not a unanimous decision, but Robert was sent home. He took the news well, and I adored his flamboyant unrehearsed dance after he was voted out. Werk, Robert! :)

librarianintx  

No comments: