Friday, December 02, 2016

My current attempt at a sugar regiment

Here are the personal guidelines I'm trying to follow when it comes to sugar:
1) One sugary beverage per day, and by "sugary," I mean Gatorade or apple juice, not soda. For the rest of the day I drink water or milk.
2) One sugary food per day, and by "sugary," I mean food that is relatively healthy. Examples would be light yogurt, fruit bars, or low sugar cookies. The cookies have 9 grams of sugar per serving, and are made with fruit and date sugars, although they also have chocolate chips in them. I'm also drinking the no sugar protein shakes again, made with chocolate pea powder (sweetened with stevia) and milk.
3) Avoiding high fructose corn syrup if at all possible. Animal crackers would usually be a lower sugar option that I would allow myself, but I checked the ingredients, and the kind I buy contains high fructose corn syrup. So no animal crackers. :(
4) I do not add sugar to anything. I used to like strawberries dipped in sugar, but no more. If I drink tea, I sweeten it with honey.
5) Instead of eating raisin bran cereal, I buy a low sugar variety of bran flakes and add raisins. You can actually see the sugar on the flakes in raisin bran cereal.
6) I am doing my very best to avoid the donuts, candy, and other treats that people bring to work.
7) Having said all this, I will allow myself to cheat for special occasions - a slice of cake or a cupcake for birthdays, pie at Thanksgiving, my mother's cookies for the holidays and Valentine's Day, etc. It sounds like a lot of cheating, but I hope it won't be.

Is it even worth it to make these changes if I cheat sometimes? I guess any move toward healthier eating is better than no changes at all. I wish I could say I was giving up sugar entirely, but I'm not there yet, and honestly, I doubt I ever will be.   

So why am I doing this? Well, in general, sugar isn't good for you. It's bad for your teeth. It gives you a rush and then you crash. If I eat something sugary without pairing it with a protein like milk, I can get shaky. I'm also reading about the possible link between sugar and metastatic breast cancer. That really has me freaked out. The problem is, I'm already at a higher risk for breast cancer. I take birth control pills, and my doctor wants me on hormone replacement therapy when I reach menopause. And I have dense breast tissue. So is cutting down on sugar actually going to reduce my risk? I plan to talk to my doctor in January. In the meantime, cutting down on sugar couldn't hurt. Tamping down my worrying couldn't hurt either. :)

librarinintx

No comments: