Wednesday, November 11, 2015

A Book You Love and One You Didn't

I'm finally getting back to the Thirty Day Writing Challenge. I'm disappointed with myself for missing so many days, but the important thing is, I'm not giving up on it.

To pick one book that I've loved - impossible! I could drive myself crazy deciding on which one, so I'm not going to think about it for too long. Just choose one and go with it. This doesn't mean that this book is my absolute favorite of all time, just one that I enjoyed.

So I am going with Good Kings Bad Kings by Susan Naussbaum. It is a work of fiction, about a group of young people living in an independent living center for people with disabilities in inner city Chicago. The characters are believable and make you want to root for them. The storylines are realistic and heartbreaking. It is one of those books that sucks you in, and leaves you feeling grateful for what you have in life.

A book that I didn't care for was Walking on Broken Glass by Christa Allan. I thought the book suffered from an overuse of metaphors and comparisons that were designed to be humorous (taken from my goodreads review). And I seriously disliked her relationship with her husband. He was a jerk, and even though she figured out that they weren't right for each other, she decided to stay with him, mainly because she found out she was pregnant with twins. At least that's what I wrote in my goodreads review. I read the book a few years ago, so I don't remember all the details. But I do remember that I gave up on the book more than once, and I managed to finish it, but I can't say I enjoyed it.

librarianintx

No comments: