Wednesday, June 26, 2013

So You Think You Can Dance Week 1

I probably won't have time to blog every week, but here's a few comments on week one. I'm not going to talk about each dance, just mention a few of my favorite moments.

1) The group dance number
Absolutely the most innovative creation SYTYCD has ever done. Innovative for this show, not as in "never been seen before" because it reminded me of an opening to an awards show, like the Tony's or the Emmy's. Anyway, I thought it was great. Fun to see Mary and Nigel in on the act as well.

2) Yea for TWO Travis Wall numbers!
The first one was much more memorable to me than the second, but the second one was good too. Wow wow wow to Jasmine M. and Alan...having to be blindfolded on their first dance together! It was an amazing piece, and they danced it beautifully. Unlike Wayne Brady, I WAS super nervous for them, but I have OCD. Anyway, they rocked it. For Jasmine to have that level of faith in Alan so soon...that she would fall backward into the arms of her blindfolded partner...incredible!

3) Jasmine H. rocked her dance as well. Sonya knew what she was doing when she put all those leg extension moves into the routine. What a standout performance! And she and Aaron look great together! I'm happy that Aaron made it on the show, and that he has a strong partner who will soon be known as much more than "Cyrus' ex-girlfriend."

4) I agree with the judges that Hayley and Curtis' hip hop routine was miles better than Alexis and Nico. Surprising to me, because I would think Nigel would want his tapper girl to stick around longer.

5) Wayne Brady was a great guest judge! He was funny and he gushed, but he also showed he knows a thing or two about dancing.

6) The girls stood out more to me than the guys on this first night, but the exception to that would be Jenna and Tucker. I think Tyce's Broadway routine allowed Tucker to outshine his partner.

Overall I think it was a great first night. That first hip hop routine was kind of a dud, and the jive routine was just a'right, but in addition to the performances already mentioned, I really enjoyed the African jazz and Viennese waltz numbers, as well as the final contemporary dance with Amy and Fik-Shun. Fik-shun is already being touted as this year's TWitch, Joshua, Russell, and Cyrus. I think it was presumptuous of Nigel to declare him and Amy Top 4 on Night One, but that's what Nigel does.

librarianintx

No comments: