Monday, June 24, 2013

George Zimmerman trial

From what I know about the trial, which I admit is not extensive, I'm going to make a prediction. The jury will not find him guilty of murder. He may be convicted of a lesser charge, but if the voice recording analysis is not going to be allowed, I don't think the prosecution will be able to prove murder without reasonable doubt. If we don't know for sure who was screaming, but we do know that Zimmerman had injuries and Martin had the fatal gunshot wound but no other injuries, then self-defense has to a possibility. I don't think it can be ruled out. I'm not saying I agree or like my assessment, but I believe that he will not be found guilty of murder. I also predict that Martin's family will then bring a civil case against Zimmerman, and they might have more success with that trial.

When it comes to this case especially, self defense is an interesting concept. Zimmerman is claiming self defense, right? But he was the one who was following, in effect stalking Martin, who was simply minding his own business, walking home from a convenience store. The fact that he was a black kid in a predominantly white area, walking at night, wearing a hoodie, these facts are what made him an object of suspicion to Zimmerman. And of course Zimmerman has no authority to be following anyone, and was told not to by the 911 operator. Martin was unarmed; Zimmerman had a gun. But Zimmerman is claiming self-defense. If you're a teenager, walking alone at night, and a dude is following you, wouldn't you consider the need for self-defense?

librarianintx

No comments: