Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Thicker Than Water

I have quoted a few times already from the book Thicker Than Water: Essays by Adult Siblings of People with Disabilities. I am finding many of the essays very compelling. The one I'm quoting here sounds so much like me:

The author is writing an imaginary conversation between G-d, a guardian angel, and St. Michael:
[Yes, I'm Jewish and there are no saints in Judaism, but work with me here] :)

"G-d: Well, I have sent [name] just about as many signs as I could send - without showing up in person - to let her know that she needs to...

Guardian Angel: I've tried my best to whisper words of encouragement. And I have even whispered advice into her friends' ears so she could hear it from them. But she answers EVERY piece of advice with another fear, another 'what if..' She's wearing me out.

St. Michael: It is looking pretty hopeless, G-d. I can't even begin to penetrate the wall of fear she's built around herself to give her a shot of faith and courage. She has no idea I am even around!

G-d: We tried the easy way by laying the whole path out in front of her, and by bringing people into her life who could help her and lead the way. But she's not getting it! There's only one way to help her now. I am going to have to resort to...

G-d, St. Michael, and Guardian Angel in unison: The HARD WAY!"

And later in the essay:

"And during the year that was my chasm, I faced a thousand tiny fears I had saved up since I was three...
Fears about having enough money...
Fears about not being to care for...
[in the essay it was her brother. In my case it would be myself.]
Fears I had no family. I found that families are made from the heart, not from blood.
Fears that my fear would kill me. I am still here"

From the essay, "The Chasm," by Antoinette Errante

librarianintx

No comments: