Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Librarian 2.0 Step 10: This Wiki World

Wikis are cool, but problematic for me. A wiki is like a pathfinder, and I really enjoy creating pathfinders. I like the fact that you can find a wiki on just about any topic these days. It makes finding information very easy. What I don't like is how easily people can make changes to a wiki. Incorrect or subjective information can find its way into a wiki. If I created a wiki, I wouldn't necessarily want people I don't know adding to it or changing it. So I would want some control over that. However, I really like the fact that you don't have to know HTML or have any kind of technical webpage knowledge to be able to create or maintain a wiki. At work, I don't have the ability or the authority to update our agency web page; the office manager is in charge of that. I think it would be so much easier to have a wiki for the reference center that I could create and manage myself.

PB Works looks pretty cool; I want to learn more about it. I had some trouble at first adding to the LD wiki, but then I got the hang of it. I even created a new section, although I don't think anyone else has added to it yet. Its a section on favorite tv shows. Surprising, right? :)

librarianintx

No comments: