Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Health Tip #3: Self-care During Hard Times

This one is SO important y'all.

Self-care feels indulgent. 

You feel like you don't deserve it.

You tell yourself you don't have time for it.

You might feel guilty if you do it.

But self-care is imperative for health and wellness, especially during times of struggle. 

Too often our default mechanism is self-sabotage, especially during a crisis. 

Break that cycle. 

Make your physical and mental health a priority. 

The more you do it, the better you will feel, and likely you will be able to come through adversity more easily. 

I lost a friend two days ago. 

I am dealing with grief, and guilt and regret as well. 

Yesterday I felt those urges to self-sabotage. 

But I fought them. 

What is self-care? 

Self-care means focusing on the pillars of health.

Nutrition

Sleep

Exercise / movement

Spirituality

Social connection 

So yesterday I:

Exercised

Journaled 

Spent time with friends and talked to family

Watched a favorite show

Went to bed at a reasonable time

And...well...full disclosure...I did eat too much sugar.

So I didn't do everything right.

But I give myself grace for that. 

Because that is a big part of self-care too.

librarianintx



No comments: