Wednesday, April 03, 2024

Day 28: A Month of Birthday Gratitude

And if we are talking about work - we have to talk about co-workers.

I have been lucky to have many wonderful co-workers during my years at the library. 

When you are in the customer service field, you bond with your co-workers. 

Especially when you are in cubicles in one big room. 

We help each other. 

In a variety of ways. 

We celebrate when someone completes a call with a difficult patron. 

We commiserate when someone has had to deal with a difficult patron. 

Even though we rarely get to meet our patrons, we still grieve when they pass away.

We tag team on certain requests - often when technology is involved. 

We'll scribble on a post it note and run to someone's cubicle - "I talked to her yesterday - check the notes field!" "Transfer him to me; I know what he wants" "Let her know I mailed her a packet last week"

We also have fun times at work 

Patron bingo

Games during the lunch hour

Making Valentine cards

Holiday luncheon with games and a white elephant gift exchange

Having the opportunity to work from home is one of the few benefits that came from the pandemic. 

But I am also happy on the days I'm in the office because I enjoy the camaraderie, support, and sense of purpose I share with my co-workers. 

Customer service / librarianship can be challenging. 

But also incredibly rewarding. 

librarianintx

No comments: