Sunday, June 11, 2023

Mobility Aids

I was 16 years old when I got my first mobility aid - a scooter called an Amigo.

I used scooters to get around at undergrad and grad schools, and portable wheelchairs when I went to places off campus that required a lot of walking. 

As an adult I experienced a lengthy stretch when I rarely needed a mobility device. I wasn't cured; I still had Muscular Dystrophy. But I was stable. My form of MD is static, or very slowly progressive. I wasn't traveling much,  and I didn't go to many places that required a lot of walking. Only very occasionally did I use my portable wheelchair. More often I would borrow a wheelchair or scooter at the place where I went, such as a museum or a convention center.

Walking, more specifically balance, became an issue during the pandemic, as I was also going through menopause (a fantastic combo, let me tell you!) I wasn't falling, but I became fearful of falling. And my legs ached. The hills in my apartment complex became difficult to manage, as I strove to continue exercising. 

I delayed the inevitable, but finally admitted to myself that I needed an assistive device. Because I want to keep walking for as long as I can, I chose a rollator this time instead of a scooter. 

My friends got me a petite rollator, designed for someone vertically challenged. :) "She" is purple and I named "her" Poppy. I also now have a cane. "He" is blue and another friend came up with the name "Cobalt" for him.

I could feel sad that I need assistive devices again. But I choose to look at the situation more positively. I am lucky there are mobilty aids available that can keep me both ambulatory and safe.

There are days I still struggle with ableism, and ageism. Rollators and canes are for "old" people. They are often used as fodder for jokes and ridicule. But when I use Poppy and Cobalt, I hold my head up and walk with confidence. I know I need them, and my life is enriched by having them, and using them.

I gave them names because I name all of my medical equipment. And because I think telling people their names if the subject arises can be an ice breaker. It's not because I'm trying to act like a child. It's just a quirky aspect of my personality. 

librarianintx

No comments: