Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Television Can Be Educational

Experts say that television rots your brain. 

I disagree.

I think television can make you think. 

It depends on if you are watching to zone out, or if you are watching to learn something. 

I do both. 

Some shows I watch just for enjoyment. 

Other shows I watch for pleasure and to learn.

Occasionally a program that I'm not expecting to teach me anything actually does!

This happened last night, with the Ryan Murphy show "911 Lone Star."

The fictional show about first responders is set in Austin. 

I've often giggled over the depiction of the majority of Austinites walking around in cowboy hats and spending their nights line dancing in clubs. 

And then there was the episode where twin EF5 tornadoes tore up downtown. 

When I was watching last night, (spoilers!), a volcano wreaked havoc in the city, spewing lava and injuring people. I burst out laughing. C'mon Ryan. A volcano? 

Turns out I needed a history lesson. 

Austin DOES have a volcano! An inactive one...but still, we have a volcano!

Pilot Knob: Pilot Knob: Largest Extinct Volcano Remaining in Central Texas (texashillcountry.com)

I have officially been educated. 

By the way, next week (spoiler #2)  is about a wildfire. 

That actually happened - not in San Angelo, but in Smithville, near Austin, and the surrounding area, several years ago. It was quite devastating. 

librarianintx


No comments: