Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Winter Wonderland

I refer to last Sunday as "The Snow Day of My Dreams."

I was born in Florida and grew up in several cities in Texas. From the time I was ten until I moved away to attend graduate school, I lived in Houston. I've seen snow a few times during my life, but usually we didn't get much more than a few flakes. Sometimes if you blinked, you missed the snow. Forecasters, especially in Central and Southeast Texas, tend to hype the possibility of snow, leaving many residents disappointed when the white stuff does not appear.

We were not disappointed in Central Texas on Sunday. 

We got snow. 

And I mean S-N-O-W!

Hours of it.

Quite a bit of it. A few inches at least. 

I've learned not to get my hopes up. But when I saw it coming down, I was so excited. I didn't know how long it would last, so I threw on clothes and ran outside, not bothering to even brush my hair or wash my face (and you can tell in the pictures.) 

I didn't care. 

I was finally getting my snow day. 

It snowed from about 9 am until 4 pm. Some of it was quite heavy. I was out several times, taking pictures and video, documenting as the outside turned white. 

It was absolutely beautiful.

I was mesmerized. 

I didn't make a snowman, or any snowballs. I didn't walk in it much. I was still afraid of falling, even though it wasn't icy. But that was okay. I didn't dream of making snowmen or snowballs. I simply dreamed of watching beautiful, white flakes falling from the sky. And that is what I had the opportunity to witness. 

This South-Central Texas girl was very, very happy. 

librarianintx




No comments: