Wednesday, September 23, 2020

"Dancing with the Stars" 2020 Nite 2 Recap Part 1

 Here we go, dance fans!

Nev & Jenna

Cha Cha

He did so well with the Foxtrot, but I wasn't sure if he would do as well with a Latin dance. I think he did pretty good! He sure gave it his all. He really went for it. I loved his big smile and bold costume. He may have been scared on the inside but he didn't let it show. I thought he had good extension and nice flare.

Derek - solid performance, watch your shoulders

Bruno - showmanship, presentation

Carrie Ann - you impressed me, nice extension (that's what I said!) :)

Scores: 7, 7, 7            My score: 6

Skai & Alan

Samba

What a shame that the lift went so wrong. I still think she is absolutely a front runner, but overall I was disappointed with this dance. It felt like she was just doing the moves, but she wasn't feeling anything. She was like a Samba robot doll. There was no joy or musicality, no Samba party going on. She was just going through the motions. Maybe she got thrown off by the lift mishap? Shake it off, Skai, you've got this, girl!

Bruno - thinks happen, but I believe in you!

Carrie Ann - work on your arms

Derek - setback sets you up for a comeback (great quote!), get more grounded

Scores: 5, 5, 5            My score: 6

Johnny & Britt

Tango

Johnny and Gaga are usually an awesome combination. But again, I was left wanting more. Are my expectations too high from last week? The steps seemed precise, but I wanted more sharpness, more attack. And the dance seemed so short. I felt like there was something missing. It should have been memorable, but I think the only thing I will remember are Johnny's pants. 

Carrie Ann - footwork is a bit odd

Derek - work on frame

Bruno - more staccato

Scores: 6, 6, 6            My score: 6

Justina & Sasha

Foxtrot

There we go! Thank you for bringing the magic back, Justina! That was a dream of a dance! Light, airy, floating, wonderful musicality! She looked beautiful! That dip at the end was exquisite! 

Derek - natural, beautiful dancer

Bruno - You make me happy

Carrie Ann - I was transported

Scores: 7,7,7             My score: 8

Monica & Val

Jive

Again, these dances are SO short! They needed to cut out the gimmicky stuff with the hay bale at the beginning and get to the dancing. I sound like Len, right? Because what she did was pretty good - nice kicks and flicks, decent bounce, but she was a little stiff, a little tight. Also, I would have styled her differently. I'm all for her looking youthful, but the Pink Lady high school look didn't suit her. 

Bruno - cheerleader quality helped, but timing not quite there

Carrie Ann - more relaxed but didn't need the lift

Derek - fun, playful

Scores: 5, 6, 5            My score: 6

AJ & Cheryl

Foxtrot

That was a very jazzy Foxtrot, or something. Really unusual moves, which made it more memorable, but what will the judges think? Will they be impressed, or will they be scandalized and unleash their inner Len on him? It seemed kind of jarring to me. But his frame was good in the traditional Foxtrot moments. I am conflicted about this one. I do love the song. This felt like something Mark Ballas would have choreographed. 

Carrie Ann - smooth as silk

Derek - showman

Bruno - foxtrotting down to Vegas, but too choppy

Scores: 7, 6, 6            My score: 6

Anne & Keo

Foxtrot

Great choreography, and she looked like Old Hollywood glamour. The pace of the dance was just a hair slower than the music at times, but her frame and extension were good. Solid performance overall, and I really like their chemistry. 

Derek - too much energy on top

Bruno - swept away, lots of Foxtrot content

Carrie Ann - nice trust with Keo

Scores: 6, 6, 6            My score: 6

Nelly & Daniella

Cha Cha

I almost felt it! Damn! But to me, it was a Cha Cha / Disco by numbers routine. Step here. Throw your arms in the air here. Roll your hips here. He's a performer, an entertainer. But he was too stiff. He wasn't feeling the music. He was just doing the steps. 

Bruno - timing was good, but you need to articulate

Carrie Ann - work on your turns

Derek - timing is impeccable, good content

Scores: 6, 6, 6            My score: 6

End of Part 1



No comments: