Wednesday, September 16, 2020

"Dancing with the Stars" 2020 Nite 1 Recap Part 2

Nev Schulman & Jenna

Foxtrot

Absolutely wonderful choreography and costumes. He looks nerdy, but put him in a suit with a timeless song to dance to, and he looked dashing, debonair, and so light on his feet! He looked and acted like a leading man. I completely bought what he and Jenna were pedaling! 

Carrie Ann - so uplifting and refined

Derek - so pleasant to watch, but tuck the tush

Bruno - classic Hollywood style

Scores: 7,7,6            My score: 7

Johnny Weir & Britt

Cha Cha

I did worry and wonder how Johnny would cope with: 1) having a partner, and 2) having a female partner. I mean, we know how chummy he is with Tara Lapinski, but he said it himself, "I'm not used to sharing my spotlight." Well, grrrl, all I can say is, that performance was FIRE for me! H-O-T. I will have this dance on repeat for awhile. The chemistry between him and Britt was fantastic, and the chemistry they both had with the song was amazing too. I thought their movements were sharp and in sync, and Johnny looked in control and confident. I loved it!

Derek - stay consistent

Bruno - lyrical quality, need to be sharper 

Carrie Ann - heaven, but stay connected (Were we watching the same dance?)

Scores: 6,6,6            My score: 8

Justina Machado & Sasha

Cha Cha

How great was that!! Her confidence and exuberance were a 10! She felt great in her spicy little costume, and it showed! Loved watching her shake everything she has and feel awesome doing it! You go girl! She is what DWTS is all about! If you've got it, flaunt it! And the dance had a good amount of cha cha elements. 

Bruno - confidence and musicality

Carrie Ann - you made everyone get up and dance

Derek - oozing charisma

Scores: 7,7,7                My score: 8

Charles Oakley & Emma

Okay, yeah, that was not good. Did DWTS not learn with having Kareem on the show? Basketball players really struggle in the ballroom. There was no salsa content here. The lifts were okay. But he has no rhythm or hip action. But what I did like was his attitude. He said Emma is his teacher, and he is there to learn. 

Carrie Ann - listen to the music

Derek - I felt joy. Work on technique.

Bruno - got into the spirit

Scores: 4,4,4                My score: 4

Monica Aldama & Val

Foxtrot

I see tremendous potential in this partnership. They are both highly competitive. They look stunning together. They have excellent chemistry. I loved how the choreography fit so well with the song; they swept across the ballroom as the music swelled. She is a Texas gal with a Texas accent and Texas hair and they danced to a country song - I loved it. 

Derek - beautiful, graceful, little stiff on the turns

Bruno - elegant and stylish, work on shoulders

Carrie Ann - you went for it

Scores: 6,7,6            My score: 7

Nelly & Daniella

Salsa

I liked the tricks, and he WAS moving his hips, but it felt like he and Daniella were doing two different dances. She was doing a salsa, and he was doing moves from a 1970's Earth, Wind, and Fire number, or something. There were just not in sync. They were way more excited at the end than I was. 

Bruno - connection was so much fun

Carrie Ann - that groove was yours

Derek - no sneakers next time

Scores: 5,5,6            My score: 5

Carole Baskin & Pasha

Paso Doble

If you could see my face during this performance...First of all: A Paso on week 1? Second of all: "Eye of the Tiger"? Really? Third: Her outfit? I had a frightening Sean Spicer PTSD flashback during this dance. Truly, I have nothing positive that I can write about it. It was 45 seconds of my life that I will not be able to un-see. That snarl and claws into the camera at the end - shiver! What a way to end an otherwise mostly good night of dancing, especially for a premiere show.

Carrie Ann - love the connection, You went for it

Derek - you smashed it

Bruno - I want to hear you roar

Scores: 4,4,3            My score: 3

Question: Was Carole having a seizure after the judges' comments, or could she not hear Tyra, or was she just ignoring her? Inquiring minds want to know. 

I'll re-watch Skai, Nev, Johnny, and Justina to help me forget Carole.

librarianintx

No comments: