Monday, February 10, 2020

The Oscars 2020

I saw TWELVE nominated films this season! That is a record. Some years I haven't seen any. Here is the list:
American Factory
Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
Bombshell
Harriet
How to Train Your Dragon
Jo Jo Rabbit
Judy
Les Miserables
Little Women
Parasite
Rocketman
Two Popes

There are still at least two more that I want to see: Marriage Story and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I also like documentaries, so I'd like to see the nominated ones.

What was overlooked, in my opinion? I'll name three:
Although I haven't see it yet, but plan to, I've heard Eddie Murphy deserved a nomination for Dolomite is My Name.
I think Awkwafina deserved a nom for the Farewell, and I think the movie should have been nominated, but there were a lot of good international films this season.
Jamie Foxx was overlooked for Just Mercy, or did that movie come out too late for consideration?

I didn't see all of the films up for Best Picture. If I'm interested in a movie, I'll see it, but if I'm not, I won't, even if its an Oscar contender. Two examples from this season are 1917 and the Irishman. I know, they're both excellent movies. I just don't think I'll ever see them.

I enjoyed the telecast.
My favorite acceptance speech was Renee Zellweger's.
I also loved Laura Dern thanking her actor parents.

Being a person with a disability, I was thrilled to see Zack Gottsagen become the first actor with Down Syndrome to present an award at the Oscars. It was tough to see how nervous he was, but he got through it. There had been some buzz that he might get a nom for Peanut Butter Falcon, but that didn't happen. I was also so happy to see a person in a wheelchair in the choir that sang with Chrissy Metz. 

Witnessing Parasite make history and become the first international film to win best picture was so exciting. I had a feeling that would happen, even though 1917 was the favorite. There has been such a buzz about Parasite this season. It also won the SAG (Screen Actors Guild) for best picture. I'm so glad I saw the movie. Of course I haven't seen 1917 or Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. But I think the Oscars got it right with Parasite. It's fun when there are surprise winners.

Many of the categories had so many good performances that it was hard to root for just one person. I know Laura Dern was deserving of her best supporting actress win, but I also loved Scarlett Johansson in Jo Jo Rabbit and Florence Pugh in Little Women. Likewise in the best actress category, Renee Zellweger absolutely deserved it, but I also thought Cynthia Erivo was outstanding in Harriet and Saoirse Ronan was a joy in Little Women.

Thanks for a great season Hollywood! :)
librarianintx


No comments: