Thursday, June 20, 2019

Physical Therapy

In May, after only about five months, my therapist decided to end my PT. She said she has seen improvement in my strength and balance, and that I was ready to leave, but that I can come back in a few months if I want.

I'm puzzled by this. First of all, and most importantly, I have a neuromuscular disease. I guess small improvements are possible, but I'm not going to "get better." I feel that I need ongoing PT to maintain what strength and balance I have. I also have osteoporosis, so I need to do what I can to prevent falls and fractures. Also, I have a prescription from a doctor that lasts for a year, so I don't think this was an insurance issue.

Can I do most of the exercises at home? Yes, most, but not all. I don't have access to some of the equipment that I used at the therapy center. I don't have a big stationary bike with tension on it. I don't have a balance board. I don't have five pound ankle weights. I could buy them, but they would be heavy for me to use by myself.

I am trying very hard to be motivated and consistent and do my exercises every day, but honestly, that isn't happening. I'm doing at least some of them most days, and I'm giving myself credit for that. But I need to be doing all of them. Every day. And I need to be getting my steps in; I have a goal of at least 3,000 per day. I also want to practice climbing stairs - those are getting tough.

I could find another therapy center, get another prescription from my doctor, but the center I've been going to is a good fit for me - it's affordable, and it's located less than five minutes from my apartment, which helps with my transportation situation.

I have to admit a small part of me is relieved. Therapy days were very long days for me - I had to be ready to leave for work by 6:45 a.m, and I usually arrived home around 5:30 p.m. There were many days when I walked into therapy and wasn't sure I could physically do my work out. But I did. Every single time. I did everything they asked me to do. That made me feel so empowered. Even though I was often tired, hungry, thirsty, and sometimes a little weak after exercising, I also felt strong, proud, energized. Going to therapy also helped me to be more organized. I would prepare food, lay out clothes and jewelry, etc for multiple days in advance so when I got home from therapy I didn't have as much to do to get ready for the next day, or even the day after that.

So my plan is to do what I can on my own during the hot summer, and return to therapy in the fall. I hope I am motivated to go back. I think I will be. Even though I'm not doing all my exercises every day like I should, I still feel committed to the cause. I know I have to do what I can to prevent a worsening of my health, and to maintain what I able to do.

librarianintx

No comments: