Wednesday, June 07, 2017

"Dare to be Kind"

Last night I went to Lizzie Velasquez's book signing. For those of you who don't know her, Lizzie became the victim of cyberbullying a few years ago when someone responding to one of her YouTube videos dubbed her "The Ugliest Woman in the World." Lizzie has an extremely rare genetic condition that was only diagnosed very recently. Instead of wallowing in pity, Lizzie turned pain into triumph, becoming a motivational speaker and accomplished author. Dare to be Kind is her fourth book. To learn more about Lizzie, visit her new web site at www.lizzievelasquezofficial.com

I arrived at the bookstore only about fifteen minutes before the event due to transportation difficulties. As I walked in, I hastily scanned the front of the store, looking for Lizzie's book, which was released the day of the signing. Usually the books are stacked near the registers, but I didn't see them. So I got in line for the check-out, figuring they were behind the registers and I just needed to request one.

A woman ahead of me in line was holding a copy, so I asked her where she found it. She pointed to the Information Desk near the front of the store. I asked the guy directly in front of me if he would hold my place in line, and he said sure.

In the approximately thirty seconds I needed to scoot out of line and secure a book, another woman came into the check-out line. When I slid back into line ahead of her, she had a problem with that. "I was here first," she said, or something to that effect. I quickly explained that I had left the line just to get a book. Her tone was of course not the nicest. She was upset. She felt she had been wronged. It could have been worse. She could have yelled at me, or called a manager over or something. But then she saw what book I had in my grasp, and she chuckled. She was there for the signing. too. In a matter of seconds, two reservation clerks called out at practically the same time, "Next in line!" and we both stepped up to a register. Crisis averted.

Dare to be Kind.

It's human nature. Misunderstandings are going to happen. Feelings are going to get hurt. People are going to feel slighted. Unfortunately, there are rude people who cut in line and feel justified. I am not one of those people. But she didn't know that. And maybe I was in the wrong. I left the line; perhaps I should have moved to the back. Luckily in the grand scheme of things this was the most minor of incidents. We both paid for our books in time to make it upstairs for the talk and signing. Presumably we both got our books signed and had the pleasure to meet this most poised, inspirational young lady.

All's well that ends well.

librarianintx


No comments: