Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Bill Cosby

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/6d90b1f473f147ed9f0048f9e9ac2287/apnewsbreak-cosby-said-he-got-drugs-give-women-sex

APNewsBreak: Cosby said he got drugs to give women for sex

 PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Bill Cosby testified in 2005 that he got Quaaludes with the intent of giving them to young women he wanted to have sex with, and he admitted giving the sedative to at least one woman and "other people," according to documents obtained Monday by The Associated Press.

The AP had gone to court to compel the release of the documents; Cosby's lawyers had objected on the grounds that it would embarrass their client.

The 77-year-old comedian was testifying under oath in a lawsuit filed by a former Temple University employee. He testified he gave her three half-pills of Benadryl.

Cosby settled that sexual-abuse lawsuit for undisclosed terms in 2006. His lawyers in the Philadelphia case did not immediately return phone calls Monday.

Cosby has been accused by more than two dozen women of sexual misconduct, including allegations by many that he drugged and raped them in incidents dating back more than four decades. Cosby, 77, has never been criminally charged, and most of the accusations are barred by statutes of limitations.

Cosby resigned in December from the board of trustees at Temple, where he was the popular face of the Philadelphia school in advertisements, fundraising campaigns and commencement speeches.

End of article

Wow. He actually admitted it. And he said this ten years ago, during a sworn deposition. So for at least ten years, some people knew he was guilty. And he knew he was guilty. But he kept acting like anyone who would even dare to think such a thing about him was terrible. Well, he's terrible. He's a rapist. Even if he only raped that one woman, he's still a rapist. But I don't think that was an isolated incident at all. And I feel so badly for all these women that have come forward with allegations, and have been labeled as liars, gold-diggers, fame whores. These women are victims. Victims of Bill Cosby, and victims of how society continues to treat women.

In an extremely small way, I can identify with these women. When I was in college, I was touched inappropriately by a professor. The few encounters were so brief and so vague, plus he was in such a position of authority at the university, that I did not think anyone would believe me, so I never made any allegations. I told a few friends at the time, and I mentioned my concerns to fellow female classmates, who I believed witnessed what happened. My friends urged me to talk to someone in the department, but my classmates all claimed that they didn't witness anything. The incidences made me uncomfortable, but I don't feel that I suffered any lasting effects from the situation. I've always felt vulnerable because of my size and disability, but I can't say that what happened with the professor has contributed to my issues with vulnerability. But maybe.

I grew up watching Bill Cosby. Fat Albert, the Cosby Show, the pudding commercials. He and Michael Landon (Little House on the Prairie), Ralph Waite (the Waltons), Robert Reed (the Brady Bunch) and Dick Van Patten (Eight is Enough) were probably my principle television dads. And television dads have always been very important to me, since I lost my father when I was nine. I feel bad for all the people that believed in him, defended him, were close to him.

So many celebrities - sports heroes, entertainment personalities, political figures - that have fallen from grace. So many people that many of us have admired and believed in: Lance Armstrong, Steven Collins, John Edwards, Josh Duggar, the list is much longer. And now add Bill Cosby. From beloved television father, comedian, author, educator, motivational speaker, activist....to alleged serial rapist. It begs the question, "Who can you believe in anymore?"

librarianintx

 



No comments: