Thursday, April 23, 2015

Dancing with the Stars

I still enjoy the show, as I do every season, but I fear that it is jumping the shark. I see similarities to what happened with American Idol. On AI, for many seasons, the performances consisted of the contestant on stage, by themselves, no back-up singers, no musicians. Just the singer who was trying to win a competition. As the seasons progressed, the finales became more of a spectacle, with celebrities joining the contestants on stage, back-up singers, choirs, musicians, etc. And there was nothing wrong that. The finales were exciting and fun. But soon even the individual performances had to become spectacles, with back-up singers, musicians, sometimes even orchestras on stage with the contestants. But that shouldn't be what American Idol is about. American Idol is about an unknown singer becoming a star. And if you make every performance a spectacle, then the finales aren't as exciting. It becomes overkill.

And I fear that is happening with Dancing with the Stars. Now the individual performances often feature troupe members or ousted professionals as extras. Occasionally musicians are on stage as well, or people posing as musicians. If every individual performance becomes a group effort, then the trios, group dances, and freestyle dances are going to become ordinary. Ho-hum. They will have to keep upping the surprise factor, the excitement factor, until they run out of options. I just hate to see that happen.

Having said all that, I am still enjoying the season. I'm sorry if my next comments are spoilers, but I was so sad to see Patti and Artem go this week. I just adore them. Currently I am rooting (and voting) for both Rumer and Val, and Riker and Allison. I will be thrilled if either one of them win, and I think they both have a strong chance, but Nastia is a good bet for the win as well. As frustrated as I am with the direction the show is taking, I still look forward to it every week.

librarinaintx

No comments: