Friday, January 24, 2014

Google Hangout on Dealing with Anxiety

I don't know how long the video will be available, but here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mJNOZas32E

Here are some highlights:

Many of us have bodies that are hardwired for anxiety.

new term - "Meta-stressing"

vast variety of ways that anxiety can manifest itself - cognitive, physical, and nervous systems can all be affected

think about what you enjoy to quell anxiety

People have various views on medication to treat anxiety. Medication can be an important part of the process. But be wary of dependence, abuse, side effects, withdrawal, and masking of symptoms. Also try to avoid self-medicating with alcohol or other drugs like pot.

Anxiety is actually a universal emotion. We all need some anxiety in our lives to remain safe. But we don't want it to take over our lives.

Getting diagnosed can be scary. There can be a fear of being labeled. There can be shame, stigma, being known as "the anxious girl (or guy)." Telling friends and family can be difficult. There is fear that they won't understand, will ridicule you, will abandon you. There can be a stigma of vulnerability, especially with men.

Helpful techniques:
Play with something - snap a bracelet, juggle a small ball
breathing techniques
try to visualize your anxiety as something small and insignificant
CBT - cognitive behavioral therapy
meditation - mindfulness - live in the moment
get enough sleep
get enough exercise
find an outlet - something you enjoy - music, writing, exercise

You worry about the future; you feel regret about the past - mindfulness keeps you in the present

"We are gifted catastrophizers"
Imagine your worst case "what if" - would it really be that bad? Might be embarassing, but life would go on.

My thoughts:

First of all, the quote "We are gifted catastrophizers" is the quote of the day! I am such a pro at that, unfortunately. It is such a hard habit to break. But I'm working on it through mindfulness. Every time a "what if" pops into my head, I try to say to myself, "Live in the moment. Be present in the now. This is not happening, and it may never happen. Relax."

This was my first Google Hangout, and I'm glad we had a snow day so I could watch it live. I had some technical problems, but I was able to watch all of it. Sometimes I don't want to hear other people talk about their anxiety and phobias, because I don't want to find anything else to worry about. My plate is plentiful, thank you. But I'm learning that if I hear or read about the experiences of the others, I can glean helpful techniques from them without developing their fears and worries.

Two authors that have written books about their experiences with anxiety were part of the Hangout:
1) Monkey Mind: A Memoir of Anxiety by Daniel Smith

2) My Age of Anxiety: Fear, Hope, Dread, and the Search for Peace of Mind by Scott Stossel

Finally, in the Amazon notes for one of these books, there was the question, "Does anxiety motivate us or cripple us?" For some people, anxiety can be a powerful and successful motivator. When Amber Riley won Dancing with the Stars, she said, in part, "...if something scares me, then I want to do it." I remember hearing an interview with someone else, I think it was an athlete, saying something about how much they like that feeling of anxiety. "I'm disappointed when I don't feel that way," I think I remember them saying. What I do remember about the quote is me saying to myself, "Wow, what a concept! Someone actually WANTS to feel this way?" It was shocking to me. They say the mind is a powerful, awesome force. If I could find a way to harness my anxiety and use it to propel me instead of inhibit me, what all could I accomplish in my life?

Could I do it? Could I actually learn to make anxiety my bitch?
Second quote of the day! :-)

librarianintx

No comments: