Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"Uprising"

There is an added reason why I'm so addicted to the song "Uprising" right now. I love James Durbin and I love big anthem songs anyway, but when I listen to this song these days it makes me think of the economic and social situation in this country at the moment, how services to people with disabilities are going to be either drastically reduced or eliminated, how people in my line of work are going to lose their jobs because of budget cuts, and how the LGBT community continues to be treated like second-class citizens.

In my state, children with autism may have their services completely taken away. They would not be eligible for other programs. James Durbin has Asperbergs Syndrome, a type of autism. He has been open about his struggle with both Aspergers and Tourettes. Is he interested in being a role model, a spokesperson? I don't know. I don't think he has to be. The fact that he is on the most popular television show in America, showing us his talent, his determination, and his positive attitude, is enough to both educate the uninformed and give hope and inspiration to the children and adults who live with these conditions. Especially with Tourettes, there is so much misinformation about the disorder. Many people think that everyone with Tourettes bark like dogs and shout obscenities. Simply by living his life in the public eye, James is dispelling myths and shattering stereotypes.

So when I watch James performing "Uprising," I think about the song being an anthem for the most vulnerable in our society.

"They will not force us.
They will stop degrading us.
They will not control us.
We will be victorious...
C'mon!!!"

librarinintx

No comments: