Sunday, October 03, 2010

My Personality

Its cool how little things in life make me happy. Things that I think most people don't think about, or things that are taken for granted. Silly things sometimes. For example, I bought this food container from a friend who sells Avon. Its a three-in-one container; it will hold a sandwich and then two side items, like chips and fruit. The sandwich section has a cover on it, so when you clasp it together the three sections stay separate. Even though its a little bigger than an average sandwich container, it still fits in my lunch tote.

I am really happy with this food container. Now instead of having to take and later wash three separate containers for the cereal, cheese cubes (or hard boiled egg), and bread slices that I take to work nearly every day, I can just use this one container. Its great. I used it for the first time on Friday, and was darn pleased with it. I even bought two of them, so one could be drying while the other one is in use. Its made of plastic and supposedly safe for the microwave, but I'm not going to use it in the microwave. If I did, I could use if for even more types of food, even at home. But that's okay. Using it for lunch with refrigerated or non-refrigerated foods is good enough.

I guess finding ways to make your life easier is probably a cool thing for many people, so maybe I'm not so different. I think this is especially true for people with disabilities. When we find ways to maintain whatever level of independence we have been able to achieve, the result can be very exciting. Or when we have people in our lives that are willing and able to help us without guilt or negativity, that is very important as well.

Unfortunately the flip side of this easy happiness is that I am also easily hurt and frustrated by circumstances and individuals. Sensitivity can be both a blessing and a curse.

librarianintx

No comments: