Sunday, October 10, 2010

Glee

It was a profoundly moving episode of "Glee" last week. I'm still processing my reaction to it. For those of you who haven't seen it, find it on the Internet and watch it!! :)

In the episode, Kurt's dad has a heart attack and nearly dies. As his glee club friends do their best to support him by singing spiritual songs and taking turns praying for his father at his bedside, Kurt struggles with his grief and fear, as well as his firm belief that G-d does not exist. People in pain often lash out when loved ones are trying to help, and Kurt's frustrations with his peers' constant religious interruptions further alienates him at a time when he really needs his friends around him.

This episode was sheer genius to me. The writing was truly inspired. In typical Glee fashion, the dialogue went from laugh out loud funny to achingly poignant to rather odball.

Several of the cast members were given the opportunity to shine, but no one as brightly or dramatically as Chris Colfer. WOW. The level of despair and heartbreak he communicated was overwhelming. His rendition of "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" was breathtaking. I have said before that he is a scene stealer on this show. On this episode, he brought his craft to a whole new level. I can't believe this is his first acting gig.

So much of this episode resonated with me. Losing one parent and constantly worrying about losing the other. Feeling alone in grief and pain. And being treated negatively because your beliefs are different from the majority.

Kurt singing "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" was riveting enough. But there was another scene that really affected me. When Finn was singling "Losing My Religion," he walked into the library, and the camera panned to Kurt sitting in a chair, ostensibly reading, with tears on his face, as fellow students moved around him, going on about their lives. I lost a close friend when I was in graduate school. I remember sitting in the dorm study lounge, a book open in front of me, crying quietly, as people chatted and studied and laughed around me. I felt invisible, hurt, and terribly alone.

Glee is a show that can truly make you laugh one minute and cry the next. Its a show that both entertains and makes you think about larger life issues. People who haven't seen it probably think its a silly show about a bunch of high school kids. I think Glee is an important show as well as a fun show. I hope its around for a long, long time.

No comments: