Monday, April 17, 2023

Colors

Growing up, I don't remember wearing the color orange. It wasn't a part of my fashion to my knowledge. Pink, especially light pink, is the color I have been drawn to and obsessed with for most of my life. I see a pink shirt. I want it. The end.

Football at any level is a BIG DEAL in Texas. Texas A&M and the University of Texas have a huge rivalry. My mother, who did not go to A&M but is one of their biggest supporters, watches UT games specifically to root AGAINST them. Now that's a rivalry.

My family has bred, raised and graduated a pack of Aggies, including an uncle, cousins, my sister and my three nieces. Marrying Aggies has become a dynasty in my immediate family: my sister and two of nieces have or will soon marry men they met at A&M.

I earned my Master's degree at UT. I would have attended A&M but they don't have a Master's in Library Science. 

A&M colors are maroon and white. University of Texas colors are burnt orange and white. 

During my time at UT, I bought exactly one UT shirt. It was not burnt orange. I did not attend any sporting events. 

By the way, I didn't like oranges or orange juice when I was younger either. That's how far the indoctrination went..

But as you go through life, your likes and dislikes change. I like oranges and orange juice now. And - gasp - I am dabbling in wearing the color orange. Not burnt orange - there IS a diffence. This is regular orange. 

I now own two orange shirts - one long-sleeve and one short. I also have two pair of orange indies and a pair of orange socks.

I have firmly told the other clothes that there will be no discrimination or bullying of the orange clothing. My closet is an inclusive space where all colors are welcome.

Change is good.
Change is growth.

But while all colors now have a place, pink still reigns Supreme.

Some things stay the same.

librarianintx 








































































































































































































































































































































No comments: