Saturday, August 27, 2022

Teachable Moment

I'm walking back from the recycle bin on the apartment complex property.

A young boy is staring at me.

I take a few more steps, glancing at him.

The next time I look at him, he says to me in a flat tone, "You're short."

I smile, in my head relieved that he didn't say "ugly" or "weird looking."

"Yup, I sure am," I reply.

"How old are you?" He asks.

"I'm old," I say, still smiling. Then I ask him, "How old are you?"

"Eight." he answers.

"Cool," I say, then add, "I like your blue scooter." 

That's it. He slides away on his scooter and I start up the hill.

No harm. No foul.

Kids may not always express their curiosity and confusion in the nicest way. But that doesn't they are intentionally being rude. Hopefully our brief encounter showed him that I'm just a person who looks a little different from "the norm." But I'm still a person and it's okay to talk to me.

librarianintx

No comments: