Sunday, July 25, 2021

Exercise Works

I have seen people say that if you have osteoporosis, exercise can be beneficial in maintaining your bone density, but won't improve it. Only medicine will regrow bone. 

I hope my story and test results prove otherwise.  

I was diagnosed with osteoporosis about 15 years ago. In addition to being on birth control and now hormone replacement therapy, I also was on Forteo for two years and I have had one Reclast infusion. So I am on medication to treat the condition. 

During 2019, I exercised, but I was not consistent with arm exercises and strength training. I was focused on walking and balance exercises. My arm exercises are hard for me, and it was easy for me to skip them and say, "Maybe I will do them tomorrow."

In 2020, I had a bone density test just before COVID hit. I had slight gains in my hips, but lost a bit of bone in my arms. So I made a commitment to do my arm exercises every day. I have a set of one pound pink dumbbells (of course they are pink), and I do various exercises for about five minutes per day. Plus I do aspects of daily living that use my arms, like unloading the dishwasher, washing dishes, taking out the trash, etcetera.

I was successful in my goal. I did my arm exercises every day except when I got my COVID vaccines. I was the most consistent I've ever been with exercise during the pandemic, because I was working from home, and had both the time and the energy to work out.

I had a bone density test in April of this year. The results were a big surprise to me and my doctor. The bone density in my arms increased by 6.2 percent!! That is a significant increase. I was so pleased. Because the test results were good and I did not show any decline, I was able to avoid a Reclast infusion for another year. My hips only showed a very slight increase, so I am trying to do some yoga poses in addition to my usual leg exercises to improve the bone density in my hips. I need to be more consistent with the yoga.

Since the test I have not been as consistent with the arm exercises. Starting back to work has made me more tired. I was also on vacation during the week before I went back to work, so I missed a few days then. When I miss a day, I try to do the exercises twice the next day, but that doesn't always happen. 

I try not to get upset with myself when I miss a day. I believe the exercises are definitely helping, and I am doing them as often as I can. I believe that any movement is beneficial. You don't have to use dumbbells and other exercise equipment. If one pound weights are too heavy, you can try a water bottle or a can of soup. Start out slow but steady, and give yourself praise and encouragement for your progress. 

Exercise, or movement, can make a difference in your overall physical and emotional health. 

librarianintx




No comments: