Saturday, June 27, 2020

My Least Favorite Exercises - And Why I Do Them

It's only been within the last few months that I have become compliant with exercising. During the pandemic, exercise has become even more important for my physical and emotional health. I try to do a variety of exercises every day:
1) ten to fifteen minutes of walking outside
2) a mix of sitting and standing balance, leg, and hip exercises
3) bed exercises (some with one pound weights) that work my legs and hips
4) climbing stairs
5) walking in place (indoors and outdoors)
6) arm exercises with one pound weights
7) using a pedal exerciser

I don't do all of this every day.
But occasionally I actually do all seven.
I try to get at least 3,000 steps in daily, with a mixture of walking inside and outside, pedaling, and sometimes stairs.
Plus I do the bed exercises every day, and a set of standing balance, hip, and leg
exercises.

I have become very compliant with the balance and leg exercises, and the walking/pedaling.

But I am struggling with the arm exercises.
I have not been doing them every day, and I think because of that, they are difficult, and it has been too easy for me to say, "Oh, I'll try them tomorrow."
I'm working to change that mentality.

My test results show that exercise IS helping my bones.
I had a Reclast infusion three years ago.
Since then, I have regrown bone in my hips every year.

But I lost a little bone in my arms last year.
I believe that could change if I did my exercises every day.
I need to keep trying.

I did my arm exercises yesterday and today.
Yesterday I did ten reps of each type.
Today I did twenty of each.
I want to do twenty every day.
I want it to get easier.
But even if it doesn't, I need to keep doing it.

When it comes to my other exercises, my least favorite ones are bridges and squats (at least my version of a squat).
They're not easy.
But I firmly believe they are good for me.
So I keep doing them.

Listening to music or an audio book, or watching television is very helpful when I am exercising.
It makes the time go by faster, and keeps me from focusing on any discomfort that I'm experiencing.

Even though I struggle some days, I am very grateful for my ability to do any form of exercise.

librarianintx

No comments: