Friday, December 06, 2019

Dehydration

Building on my previous post -

I believe I have been chronically dehydrated for several years, due to a number of factors:
1) low weight
2) small bladder
3) difficulty swallowing
4) transportation issues (long commutes)

I have had many uncomfortable para-transit rides where I had to pee. When your pickup window opens at 2:30, but you don't get in the vehicle until 3, and then you have to ride until 4 - 4:30 - it can make fluid intake difficult.

Chronic dehydration can cause skin and dental problems, fatigue, memory issues, kidney stones, and make blood draws and IV's a long and painful process. It can also, apparently, contribute to high levels of potassium and other issues with blood work.

The main way I am combating chronic dehydration is to make a conscious effort to drink more. Meaning, I'm not sipping on liquids throughout the day. If I do that, I won't achieve my quota. I am pouring 8 - 12 ounces at a time and trying to drink that amount in a relatively short amount of time. My goal is at least 40 ounces a day, which is about half my weight. I'm also using a straw, which is easier for me with my swallowing issues.

The other key component is to stop drinking an hour before I have to ride in a vehicle. That gives my bladder time to empty twice before I leave. Sometimes I get busy at work and forget to stop drinking at the allotted time. Sometimes I get busy at home and forget to drink. But I am working on those issues.

My schedule is working pretty well. Most days I get at least close to 40 ounces, and occasionally I even surpass that. My blood draws have been easy lately, and I feel like my fatigue is less. My potassium level has decreased.

I'm pleased with my progress so far. But I have to remain vigilant, so I don't fall back into old habits.

librarianintx


No comments: