Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Dancing with the Stars finale - My Thoughts

After the Sophie's Choice drama and tears of last week's episode, when the judges had to make the painful decision of eliminating one of the top two contestants this season, last night's finale was such a joyous celebration of a mostly terrific season of Dancing with the Stars. It took awhile for these contestants to get the hang of dancing, but I would argue that the Top 5 all became fantastic dancers. The finale was super exciting, with all the dancing absolutely top notch. I enjoyed all the repeat dances, and the freestyle dances were amazing!!

So did the right person win? Sorry, but not in my opinion. I would have given Hannah the Most Improved Dancer award, but not the Mirrorball trophy. She came so far and improved so much, in her confidence as well as her dance ability, and I am okay that she won, but I think Ally or Kel deserved it more. I honestly don't know why the audience struggled to connect with Ally. She was in the bottom more than anyone else, and she didn't deserve to be. I found her to be humble, grateful, emotional, a hard worker, and she became a wonderful dancer that excelled at every style she attempted.

Still, I just loved the journeys that these contestants experienced, and I was so thrilled and excited for them. All of the top 5 changed and grew so much, most notably Hannah and Lauren. Even though country is not my thing, I thoroughly enjoyed Lauren's country freestyle, and I clapped, squealed, and cried with her when she got her first 10's of the season.

The finale was just so great. Cher's performance was amazing. The costumes were perfection! Pitbull and Neyo were fun. I didn't feel like we got to see the former contestants as much, but they all looked wonderful and happy to be back on the dance floor. I have only two complaints. Len's score of 9 on Kel's freestyle was SO wrong. Okay, to a certain extent I can see his point. There wasn't a lot of variety in the freestyle. There wasn't a mix of styles; there weren't many lifts. But c'mon, the energy and as Bruno said the exhilaration of the performance was undeniable. I think sometimes Kel's dancing is so effortless that it looks like it isn't difficult, but that was not an easy routine, to keep up with the music as it got faster and faster. I loved it, and it did NOT deserve a 9. My other complaint: They didn't use the Whitney Houston track for "I Wanna Dance with Somebody." Why in the world? DWTS, you used the track for "I Will Always Love You," the previous week, you couldn't get the other song cleared, or you were lazy? Two blimps in an otherwise fabulous night!

I simply adore this show. Thank you for a fantastic season, Dancing with the Stars! Congrats to all the contestants, and to Hannah. Maybe next season I can post more of my thoughts, even if I don't do formal recaps.

librarianintx

No comments: