Monday, February 04, 2019

"Be on Time" Chronicles

I was proud of myself on Sunday.
I was so organized.
I had three outfits ready for Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.
I made food to take to work for Monday and Tuesday.
I filled my medicine box for the week.
I finished paying the bills.
I braved the pre-Superbowl rush at the grocery store.
I ran the dishwasher and unloaded it.

I did everything on my list, everything I was supposed to do yesterday.
Except one very important task.
I forgot to schedule my ride home from work for today.

I remembered at least twice.
Once when I was waiting for my ride to the grocery store.
And again while I was at the grocery store.
But I didn't call. 

I didn't remember again until 5:12 pm.
I have to schedule rides before 5 pm.
If I had just remembered 30 minutes earlier.

I was mad.
But I didn't panic.
I know I have options.
And options are comforting.

I can take a cab.
Or a ride share.
Maybe I could try the city bus.
I'd have to do a transfer.
And walk a ways to the bus stop near work.

One plus with para-transit is that if they take you somewhere, they are obligated to find you a ride home.
And luckily, that's what they did.
I have a ride home.
I don't have to spend extra money or over-exert myself.

I'm relieved. 

When I leave work today, I'll have a note on my desk:
"MAKE RIDE FOR THE NEXT DAY!!"

librarianintx




No comments: